Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to de-stink a garage?

Posted by Helena2013 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 8:29

I just bought a house where the former owners used to keep their dogs in the garage (which was not used for cars; they nailed the garage door shut and put a pet door in the side of the wall). Cement floor, sheetrock on the walls.

The garage stinks so badly of "dog" that you can smell it in the adjacent end of the house (ugh). I'm sure there were many times when the dogs didn't bother to use the pet door to go out to the yard to "do their business" too. :-(

I'm going to convert the garage to being usable for cars and garden equipment again but the smell is overwhelming.

Any suggestions for how to get the dog stink out of the walls and (probably more importantly) the floor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to de-stink a garage?

my thoughts (and I'm not an expert) would be something along the lines of 1) pressure washing (with perhaps an odor eliminating additive) 2) leaving the door open to air out; and 3) putting large pans of baking soda out for a while to absorb odors.

o

If it were my house, I would be looking at cutting out and replacing the lower 2-3 feet of sheetrock, then cleaning and sealing the concrete floor.

o

The alcohol-based white shellac used for smoke damage will seal the drywall
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-B-I-N-1-Gal-Shellac-Based-White-Primer-Sealer-182406/202016525

Kilz makes some low VOC and low-odor primers for pet stains and odor blocking ... http://www.kilz.com

Get a power scrubber and scrub the heck out of the concrete floor with TSP or a low-sudsing laundry detergent with OxyClean or a bleach, rinse, and let it dry with the garage door open for a while ... air is your friend.

Then, if needed, hit it with one of the kennel cleaner/deodorizers - ask a vet

Sealing the concrete with an epoxy floor finish made for garages might be needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here