Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I clean cloudy spot on black granite?

Posted by jandixie (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 8:16

I do not know how to clean a cloudy spot off my black granite. It is two quarter sizes. Also what is the best thing to clean spots off the granite and make it shine? I have to put the house on the market and need to make it look good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I clean cloudy spot on black granite?

Can't speak to the cloudy spot, especially without knowing what it is. Is it haze (perhaps in a sealer)? Something that can be "scraped" off? A mineral deposit from hard water?

However, here's how I clean my granite when I really want it to shine:
1 - wipe down the whole thing with a slightly-soapy sponge/dishcloth, followed by a clean barely-damp sponge/dishcloth to get up any soap left. (on an average day, this is where I stop)
2 - Use a clean dry towel to wipe up all the water left by the sponge, if necessary
3 - Lightly spritz a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water over the whole surface (I keep a spray bottle under the sink, premixed. About 1:4 alcohol:water)
4 - Wipe with a clean dry towel (may be able to use another side of the towel used in step 2). The benefit of the alcohol mixture is that it dries faster than plain water, and is less likely to leave streaks/spots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here