Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Cleaning this Rentals Oven..

Posted by Jessica1989 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 5:23

Warning the picture isn't pretty.

I am not too sure how I am going to clean this oven roof. Everything I have read said I can't spray anything onto the grill elements. But how do I clean the roof and elements?

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Regards,

Jess

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Cleaning this Rentals Oven..

Check to see if the element just plugs in the back(?) for removal. Disconnect the power first.

o

A lot of electric elements will unplug at the back. If it won't unplug easily, it may drop down. You may have to remove a couple of screws on the bracket holding it. If all else fails and you can't drop it down, then cover the element with foil while you are spraying it. It probably won't stay there as you are cleaning, but the foil will protect the element from overspray. Good luck. That is one dirty oven! To clean the elements, you can use steel wool (without soap). You can also try putting a glass measuring cup with white vinegar or lemon juice in it (you can boil it in the microwave first) and then heat the oven so the fumes and moisture coat the oven. This will also help get off the oven cleaning residue after you've done the rest of the cleaning.

This post was edited by grandmamaloy on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 22:54

o

In years past you could place a cup of ammonia in the oven, close door, leave overnight and the next morning remove cup of ammonia. The fumes penetrates the dirt, softens it for easier cleaning.

Good luck on cleaning an oven like that one.

o

Buy a cheap used but clean one on craigslist. Might be best $150 you spend this summer! If it's a rental it need not be fancy.

o

I had an oven like that before and I simply buy an oven cleaner but not the spray ones but the ones in plastic container. Get a sponge and slowly rub in the floor until it gets wet, leave it overnight and clean.

o

Hi, OldFixer, As a fellow landlord, I'm wondering how the oven project is going. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here