Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgdsss

Best dish towels

jgdsss
10 years ago

This might be a funny question but does anyone have really great absorbent dish towels? I've tried target, bed bath and beyond, home goods, etc and they all seem to not be able to pick up water...I'll wipe the counters and they'll still be wet and streaky or dry my hands and they're still damp. I don't use fabric softener on them because I know that makes it worse. I've tried the microfiber ones and they seem even worse. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments (33)

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

You may want to switch from dish towels to hand towels from the bath department - that's what a friend of mine finally did out of desperation. She makes sure the terry cloth is looped, not cut, for more absorbancy.

I wonder if there is even a mill in the U.S. that makes towels anymore, or is everything from China?

The last good-quality kitchen towels I found were at Tuesday Morning and I bought every one they had. We actually use our dish towels for drying dishes, not just something that is for display to match the decor, so like you, I've noticed the quality and thickness diminish over the last decade.

I had some microfiber kitchen towels a few years ago and hated them. They even felt "odd" and you had to make sure you used one side when drying dishes because the other side wouldn't dry squat. The "magic" absorbancy only lasts a short period of time and are hardly worth using for rags now.

I've found fabrics in general are very lacking in quality these days, so it stands to reason kitchen towels would take a hit.

-Grainlady

• emma
    10 years ago

I did find one dish towel that would not absorb water easily, but it was just the one time in all my life. Do you use fabric softener, if you do, maybe you are using to much.

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

Emma R -

Good point about fabric softener, but no, I don't use it (liquid or sheets). It's a waste of money and an environmental toxin, plus it diminishes the absorbancy of towels (and all clothing), as you pointed out. I can't even be outside when my neighbors run their dryer because the perfume from their dryer exhaust causes me breathing problems. "Clean" shouldn't have a perfume fragrance.

I use Charlie's Soap, and as recommended by the company, you're not supposed to use any kind of softener with it or it looses it's cleaning efficiency. Charlie's Soap also show tests on their web site where build-up from laundry detergents (such as Tide) can diminish absorbancy over time.

I hang my laundry to dry in the basement and I rarely use the dryer at all these days. I even stopped hanging clothes outside because the sun and high winds we have here in Kansas destroy fabrics nearly as much as a dryer. It's amazing how much longer things last by avoiding the dryer and the great outdoors.

The microfiber kitchen towels were just horrible, and I'm glad I only had 2 of them. Maybe they were a bad manufacturer, but I won't try another brand as long as I can purchase cotton towels. They required special treatment (or at least according to the label) - you're not supposed to launder them with anything that might produce lint (such as the fringe ends of some kitchen towels) because the lint sticks to them like a magnet (which it did). Don't dry them in the dryer with other fabrics other than microfiber towels because they pick up lint from other fabrics. They aren't supposed to be bleached or fabric softener used on them because that diminishes the fiber coating. So if you want to sanitize or whiten them with bleach, you were out of luck. The side with a "nap" had to be used if you wanted to dry anything, and the side without a nap wouldn't dry anything. Like I said, they don't even make good rags now.

-Grainlady

• emma
    10 years ago

I use liquid fragrance free fabric softener on towels only. I like them soft.

By the way I am in south central Ks since 1950.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I've been washing everything in liquid Wisk (in the red plastic bottle) based on it being recommended in Consumer Reports. Towels and all linens, jean get hung outdoors if possible, if not then over my bathtub. Most clothing and smaller items go directly to the dryer. I also give sun-dried items a few minutes tumble in the dryer to "soften" them up. I find the best cloths for drying dishes, etc are old towels ripped up into squares or rectangles. By the way, I no longer hand-dry dishes. I bought a dish dryer rack and use that. My "finicky" daughters have noticed how nice and clean glasses are after being hand washed and air dried. No dishwasher residue problem at my house! Oh, and I do still use my dishwasher once in a while.

• sanschult
    10 years ago

I am a fan of good old white flour sack dish towels from Walmart, they get wet quickly but I hang them outside and they dry quickly in warm weather. When they get too stained I put them in the cleaning basket and they go on forever.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

plain white "flour sack" towels work great.

some time ago, I dumped all my various old kitchen towels and got a big stack of white flour sack towels. I use them 4 at a time in my kitchen, and use them around the house elsewhere. Wash together once a week in hot water and bleach (most time) and they come out pretty clean and fresh, ready for another weeks' use. Very simple.

• MiMi
    10 years ago

I found some kitchen hand towels at Big Lots that absorb great, just like they all use to, they come in a package of 2 for 2.50. If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply close to you, they have some white towels, like they use in beauty salons that are very reasonably priced and absorb great also. Then in the auto section at Walmart they have packages of plain white towels that are actually very nice and they absorb great. If you have a Sam's Club close by they also have the white towels in the automotive section, packages of 60 for around 20.00. I cull thru them, keep the nicest ones for in the kitchen then use the rest for cleaning rags. They are a great size, very absorbent and last a long time.

• chefmom_2010
    10 years ago

Williams Sonoma striped weave towels are the best!

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

Dish towels and ordinary towels from third world countries and elsewhere are often made from "hard cotton" which is great for polishing glass etc. but not very absorbent at first. It can take six months and many washings for the fabric to become soft. Then you start to run into a different problem because the hem stitching is done with inferior thread which starts to let go about the time the fabric is nice and soft. Sometimes the cotton fabric is treated too aggressively in the mills to produce instant softness and everything quickly falls apart in synch after a few months use by the customer.
    Progress.

• emma
    10 years ago

I found the towels at big lots also and I should have bought more. It is hard to find kitchen towels thick enough and bath hand towels are to thick and loosely woven for kitchen towels.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The "flour sack" towels really are the best, and they are cheap. I get them in four packs, for $8, at Stop & Shop (grocery store). And they're white, so you can bleach them if you want; absorb amazingly, and dry very quickly.

They're the best.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    10 years ago

I've also given up - when I can find them, I get vintage ones from the antiques flea market or estate sales (often cheaper than new one in the big box stores)

otherwise, I tend to make my own from 2 layers of old t-shirting with the knit running perpendicular to one another (not having a serger, I zig-zag just inside the edge)

I also started making my own crocheted cotton dish rags when I couldn't find anything else that the cotton 'yarn' was good for, and they're indestructible, and a no-scratch surface.

• musicteacher
    10 years ago

I like those cheap washcloths you can get at Walmart - maybe10 for $3. I use them in my kitchen as both cleaning cloths and as towels. You don't have to separate drawers for towels and washcloths, and they are the perfect size to work with. When they get badly stained I can throw them out with no guilt, or bleach the heck out of them. They are very absorbent, and their not so plush loops and good scrubbers. I even took a couple to school to wet dust with and for little spills. Keep a couple in my car... I love having lots of these around.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    10 years ago

I use all cotton towels. No poly content, no microfiber. But my favorite is old vintage linen towels I find at antique stores/resale shops. Linen damask that has been washed hundreds of times is the best. I have linen hucktoweling (decades old, that my Mom cross-stitched) , but the old old damask is better.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I agree, nothing beats the old fashioned flour sack dish towels. I've tried all kinds of things and I always go back to those.

• caroline94535
    10 years ago

I use "flour sack-type" towels at Home of Economy. It's a northern-tier farm-and-home chain.

They are 100% cotton, about 38-inches square, white, and have a plain, sewn hem. They are $1.69 each and go on sale twice a year! I keep some of them large; others I cut and hem (or not!) into haves or fourths for smaller jobs.

I have dozens. I use them for the final Windex spritz after cleaning windows; on mirrors; for hand drying dishes - everything.

I have one stack set aside for canning season. I use them as fruit strainers and for cleaning canning jars.

They are wonderful.

In my biased view, for a towel, dish or otherwise, to be truly absorbent, it has to be 100% cotton. Plastic just can't absorb water.

This post was edited by caroline on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 13:41

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

Old linen dish towels are THE BEST hand's down. They absorb like nothing else I've tried and I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. HA! I went around the flea market a while back and bought up a bunch and probably only spent $10. I got lucky and found a box for $3 all of it!

• rockpine
    10 years ago

Yes! The old linen towels are great! Especially if they have an old calendar printed on it! :)

• krissie55
    10 years ago

Birdseye diapers are great for dish towels. Not sure if they are sold anymore. Back in the 1950's they were large squares and very absorbent.

• wiredgirl
    10 years ago

I found these on Amazon for my sister last year for Christmas after she said the only thing she wanted was a decent dish towel. She loved them so much I ordered some for myself and I will never buy another kind. Don't let the microfiber name fool you, they do not feel like the fuzzy microfiber and do not pick up lint. I love them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dish towels - best ever!

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

I saw the waffle microfiber towels at Big Lots recently.

-Grainlady

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I use both the dish cloths and tea towels (dish towels) that are sold in packages of 12 at Costco.

• sanschult
    10 years ago

I use terry hand towels from the bath dept. and white "feed sack" cloths. I got a pack of 12 at Sam's Club for $12, those will probably last me a long time; they are almost like gauze when new, but shrink some in the wash. They dry quickly. I try to bleach them when they get stained.

• bettymcpherson
    9 years ago

The best kitchens towels that I use are from William Sonoma. They are not cheap, but will last for years. I do not use bleach. Other cleaners such as Degreaser or Oxi-Clean. At Christmas, I get them with no shipping.

• clueless59
    9 years ago

I have been blessed with owning REAL feed sacks from yrs ago but new enough mine are white. I have a life time supply. My 2nd fav old kitchen towel is old square cloth diapers that was used for burp rags rather than on baby bottoms. Both drys in a matter of minutes.

I never use fabric softner but I do use a bit of vinegar in wash an in the rinse cycle as well just put the vinegar in the softner dispenser.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I used to look for all cotton, and some of those are still old favorites, but my new favorites are linen. They aren't cheap - cheap favorites are the flour sac style towels. Use those for canning. Linen/cotton blends can also be good.

• laura705
    9 years ago

For those that mentioned the Williams Sonoma dish towels, America's Test Kitchen did a test and found those to be the best re absorbency and longevity. I've decided to give them a try.

• beteacher
    9 years ago

I have gotten rid of towels in my kitchen, and to keep things simple, I only buy those cheap white washcloths from Walmart (12 for $4 or so). I wash with them, dry with them, clean up messes etc, and they all are stored in one spot. They come in pretty colors too but the white ones are bleachable and when they get gross I have no problem just tossing them because they are so cheap.

• whammytap
    8 years ago

Make sure any towel you get is 100% cotton. It blows my mind how many polyester towels I see these days. Polyester is a non-absorbent material, ie. it repels water! You'd think people would know better.

I have had a lot of luck with Williams-Sonoma's classic waffle-weave towels. Looking at the comments, it seems others have, too. I've had mine for several years and they've barely faded. They are quite thick; if you prefer something thinner a good cotton flour-sack towel works wonderfully, also. Whatever you get, wash it a couple of times before putting it into circulation. The plants that make textiles load 'em up with all kinds of chemicals, some of which can affect absorbency.

• juanmis6
    7 years ago

Amazon.com is the best option of course. I purchased several from this brand Cottoncloudco , it's all natural eco-friendly Turkish cotton. It's super soft and great colors. Received tons of compliments from all my friends. I would recommend them..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2ZRGP4

• cacocobird
    7 years ago

Diapers do make wonderful dishtowels. Not very decorative, but they work.