Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Mom dulled my Hardwood floors!

Posted by AmaraUndone (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 1:27

My Mom is visiting and has decided all kinds of things don't look right in my house. -_- She bought us a floor steamer a few years ago which I use in the kitchen and bathrooms. So she decided it could be used on the hardwood floor in the main entrance and hallway too.

I said "I don't think steamers are supposed to be used on hardwood floors."

She said "No, it will be fine."

Now the floors are so dull she is complaining about that too and asked me to research how to fix it.

It's a rental house so I have no idea what kind of wood it is or sealing was used. I've always just swept and spot cleaned because of that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Mom dulled my Hardwood floors!

How old is the flooring - or in other words, how old is the house?

You need to find out what finish is/was on the floor to know how to fix it. I'm linking to one site that I found via google.

It is unlikely that a steamer could produce enough heat to melt a polyurethane finish. It is possible someone applied some sort of floor wax and the heat of the steamer melted the wax.

Can you post a photo?

Here is a link that might be useful: test floor finish

o

Someone probably used wax or cleaning product like Murphy's oil soap on it previously, and the steam cleaner made the buildup foggy. You can use some rubbing alcohol in a hidden area to check. You should remove the wax or buildup using a hardwood floor buildup remover and then clean it just with the steam mop in future, you don't want wax or buildup on those floors.

o

It sounds like there was some kind of wax or build up already on the floor and the moisture from the steam caused it to become dull and foggy looking. Using mineral spirits with a very fine steel wool pad will probably work well. I'd be making your Mom apply that elbow grease! The same should be true whether these are actually hard wood or laminate flooring. Wax of one kind or another is usually applied to hard wood flooring, but laminate flooring shouldn't have any wax on it. I've used a steam cleaner on my laminate flooring and had good results, so you probably DO have wood. After removing the waxy buildup, you may have to use some kind of wax to bring the shine up some and to protect the surface. You might want to ask your landlord what he prefers you use. Good luck with this...and with your Mom. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here