Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherriz_gw

Cleaning marble AND polished nickel

sherriz
13 years ago

I will have polished nickel fixtures with marble tile and slab in my bathroom. Any suggestions on what to use so that I don't hurt either? Is METHOD cleaners ok?

Comments (5)

• kgreenclean
    13 years ago

There are a lot of commercial metal cleaner that can help you clean your nickel pieces or to polish it without doing any damages. You can also remove the grime and grease from nickel by using household ammonia mixed with water. A good mixture would be 25-percent ammonia and 75-percent water. Soak for 30 minutes and check if the grime is coming off. If not, add more ammonia and re-soak. You may need to brush gently with a soft cleansing brush. Rinse the nickel part and dry completely. Buff with a soft cloth to polish.

Here is a link that might be useful: eco friendly cleaning

• lizbeth-gardener
    13 years ago

PLEASE don't use ammonia without researching it first.

I have both polished nickel hardware in bath and white carrera marble on floor and vanity.
    Cleaners for marble are supposed to be ph neutral--can find on the web. I just use Dawn original and warm water--not sure if it is ph neutral. Be very careful what you set on marble. We had to have marble man out to repolish vanity top two days after moving in. We had a container of soft soap sitting on counter and it etched marble. Castile bar soap is safe--am sure there are others. Don't know about Method.

On the polished nickel, I purchased (online) Flitz faucet wax (it's a green product). It cleans, polishes and protects. I only need to do this about every 6 months. In between, I just use a soft wet cloth and then dry with soft cloth.
    I am also really careful when I clean my porcelain sinks not to use anything abrasive because of it washing over my PN drain. HTH

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I have a polished nickel kitchen faucet. It started to get marks that would not come off. When I asked the store where I purchased it they told me nickel is like silver - it is a "living" metal. It basically tarnishes like silver.

They told me silver cleaner was not strong enough for nickel and I needed a metal cleaner. I purchased one at the local hardware store.

My nickel looks amazing. I only have to deep clean it a few times a year.

I found this green cleaner which does a very good job but not quite as good as the metal cleaner. Not sure where you can get it where you are. I actually polish my silver with this and many other jobs  itÂs a great cleaner.

Use something mild on your marble. Many things will "etch" the finish of marble (vinegar for example). My husband did it to my new master bathroom counter right after we got it. Marks are still there today  sigh Â

Here is a link that might be useful: green cleaner

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

I use soap and water or stainless metal cleaner. I love Swiffer, a spray sold in the supermarkets. I think its made by the same company as Pledge. It has no wax but it shines everything.

We sold our house earlier in the year and had showings every weekend. We'd run through the house with Swiffer (you spray it on a rag) and we'd wipe everything - granite, marble, faucets, stainless ovens, fridge, doorknobs, sinks, tile, wood...everything! Whatever is in it shines everything. I love this stuff.

Jane

• westvillager
    13 years ago

I use a window spray to clean/shine polished fixtures. I'm with Lizbeth, non-ammonia based. There are many kinds and I'm sure even Windex offers different types at this point.

I'm one of those folks like janeny who spray the cloth rather than the surface, which gives control over where the cleaning product goes.