Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean furniture with layer of dust from being stored

Posted by 30svintage (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 0:40

After over five years our furniture just came out of storage into our new house. There is a good layer of gummy dust on everything that does not vacuum off and since this is hot Texas it seems to have become part of the surface due to the high temperature.
I have both painted surfaces and stained wood surfaces - mostly antiques with original finish. My first attempt was to use diluted orange oil for a wash and then quickly wipe it dry. I then used pledge with lemon oil to try to bring back the shine. This is what I had on hand. Results were OK but the lemon oil looks a little streaky and there still seems to be a gummy film.
What is best to use to clean the furniture? Any and all suggestions appreciated! thanks

This post was edited by 30svintage on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 0:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean furniture with layer of dust from being stored

The varnish or paint softened/melted due to the hot Texas heat allowing the dust/dirt to absorb into it.

Refinishing is the only way to restore beauty of the furniture.

Storing furniture in a climate control storage unit is the best way to store furniture to avoid this type damage.

o

I would try pouring some mineral spirits on a cloth and wiping the furniture. Don't rub too hard.

o

There is an antique restorer that sells often at the antique marts or malls. Can't remember the name, but it's in a glass bottle, yellow liquid. It's not like stripping, you just rub it on. Great stuff, a little pricey.

o

This can't be done properly at home by yourself. You better try any reputed dust / house cleaning company.

This post was edited by Divyah on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 14:33

o

30sVintage - What you have is a mix of leftover furniture polish and dust, baked together.

Have you tried mild soap and water?

If that doesn't work, try mineral spirits on a soft cloth. Wipe on a generous amount, let it sit and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Test in a hidden area, but mineral spirits usually doesn't affect the finish of a piece.

As you found, anything oily just spreads the oily dirt around. The mineral spirits can dissolve old oils and grime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here