Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leanne_rn

cleaning garlic smell out of plastic lid

leanne-rn
15 years ago

Can someone please tell me how I can get the smell of garlic spaghetti out of a blue plastic lid. I stored the leftovers in a glass bowl with a plastic lid and now I can't get the smell out. This is a really nice, and new, bowl and lid and I don't want it to forever smell like garlic!! I went to the store and looked for something I remember being advertised awhile ago called "plastic booster" or something like that, but I didn't not find it or anything even close. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (6)

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Usually baking soda will take care of this. Or bleach if baking soda doesn't do it. Let it soak for day.

• leanne-rn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do I just make a paste with the baking soda? Thanks for your help!!

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

I'd make a solution and dunk the offending lid in it. Try a paste if it's easier.

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

Put some damp paper towel in the original container and snap the smelly lid on it and let it sit a few days to absorb the odor if the soda treatment doesn't work. You can also use some wadded-up damp newspaper. This is a Rachel Ray hint that I read on this board some time ago. I used this method recently when I got some rancid flax seeds from the health food store and milled them in my coffee/spice mill. I thought it was ruined - the smell was awful - and I was about to throw the mill away. The damp paper towel worked like a charm. I left it in there for several days.

-Grainlady

• abejadulce_z9b
    15 years ago

you might try soaking it in vinegar if other methods fail.

• simoneb
    15 years ago

Sometimes coffee grounds works for me too. After I fill the container with coffee grounds, I let it soak. Then I wash well with dish soap -- the coffee smell seems to fade quickly and it seems to neutralize other smells...