Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is $20 an hour a fair price(for me) for cleaning?

Posted by sugar_fl (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 0:23

I live in a very small apt..about 500 SQ feet. I need some help due to a bad back. One I talked to wants $20 an hour but said after the 1st visit she should be able to do it in an hour. I need help cleaning out cabinets..cleaning bathroom & kitchen.. vacuum & dusting. Does $20 an hour seem fair. I have never hired help. This is a senior, low income housing.
She knows the building.
Thanks in advance,
Dar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is $20 an hour a fair price(for me) for cleaning?

Dar -
I pay my housecleaner $20 an hour.

Have her just schedule and start ... the first hourly visit she'll probably just vacuum, dust, and thoroughly clean the kitchen and bath. When the routine stuff is under control, have her do one or two "extras" like help with one cabinet each visit in the time left after the regular cleaning.

In 2 hours, my housecleaner vacuums, dusts, mops, cleans 2 bathrooms and the kitchen, and has 15-30 minutes left over for something like wash a couple of windows, wash the baseboards, help me clean the refrigerator ... and it's a 2400 square foor 4-bedroom house.

o
RE: Is $20 an hour a fair price(for me) for cleaning?

Sounds like you may need a Professional Organizer rather than (or in addition to) a housecleaner. If your cabinets, closets,drawers, etc need organizing, what will a housekeeper do? Hold your hand while you decide. keep this, throw out that? In my area (Long Island, close enough to New York City we are used to "big city prices", an Organizer charges $50 to $75 an hour.Google "NAPO" or "National association of Professional Organizers" for more information. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here