Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresas_gw

Help me triage basement odor cleanup! Guests coming soon!

theresas
12 years ago

My in-laws are coming. In my 15 years of marriage, I've always had cats but not had a house that smelled like I have cats. While we were away visiting on Memorial Day, our basement took in a little water in the usual places and then we had a LitterGenie mishap. One of my friends was selling her automated flushing water-works cat pan and I tried it. It leaked cat urine smell in our laundry room. Twice.

So here's my dilemna--I have 3 potential nasty places and limited time to do it right. Which spots would you rank in order of rank (haha), thus helping me direct my cleaning?

1. The abandoned sump pump pit. This is in the finished part of my family room. Previous owners yanked out the pump and cut the pipes and filled them in (they went through external wall) with Quik-Crete. The water level rises sometimes and it soaks the carpet. It has been a source of reek in the past, alleviated by pouring 7 lbs of baking soda on the carpet.

2. The concrete laundry room floor. This is where the litter pan leaked. I had a load of towels in front of the washer waiting to go in and they got soaked and sat for a day before I realized what had happened.

3. The basement window well. When we flash flood, this leaks into the finished family room, again carpeting is involved.

We've been airing the house out and running the dehumidifier alternately (kinda pointless to run it when we let humid air into the windows). It will be nearly 100 here when the in-laws arrive and no chance of getting away with opening the windows. When the house is closed up, the smell starts within an hour. Tonight I spot tested some carpet for peroxide-fastness and I soaked the affected laundry room concrete and scrubbed it by hand after reading tips in the Flooring forum. It will take awhile to air dry even with fans and I'd rather do the whole laundry room then seal the concrete with the proper sealer. This was basically a big spot treatment until I can move the machines and really scrub. We want to try to put another pump in that inactive STAGNANT sump pit. Imagine my horror when we lifted the carpet after living here awhile and finding that! Ugh. Sometimes we use our portable pump and garden hose to lower the level. We will do the work to make all this right, but I just need a band-aid for visitors.

Any advice?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath