Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best method to clean a basement tile floor

Posted by christians1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 22:47

hello, have an older house and the back of my basement has 1'x1' asbestos tiles. they are very dirty and dull looking. Does any one know the best way to clean them up and possibly make them look shiny?

Thanks for any suggestions
Christian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best method to clean a basement tile floor

I would clean them with a good all-purpose cleaner like Mr. Clean or Sp-ic and Span to remove dirt.

You might try posting on the flooring forum for recommendations for how to give them a shine. Or, depending on what they look like, you might consider the option of painting them. You could post on the Paint forum for exactly what products to use. It is amazing how painting something can make it look so much better and cleaner.

o

Asbestos tile wears amazingly well....
I would use a shop vac that will also suck up water. And put on straight 409 and scrub with a push broom, suck up the filth and repeat.
I have used a circular power scrubber on tile, but unless your tile is firmly attached to the floor it can lift the corners.
To shine it up after it's clean, use any of the vinyl waxes...or a carnauba wax if you want a lasting finish.
Linda c

o

I had a situation some years ago with some really, really dirty vinyl flooring. After trying a bunch of household, all purpose type cleaners and a lot of elbow grease, I bought some commercial 3M floor stripper. The difference was absolutely amazing; I put down the stripped waiting a few minutes, and years accumulated grime wiped up effortlessly.

Unfortunately the stuff isn't cheap and you'll need to find a janitorial or industrial supply house. Well worth the money and effort IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3M Floor Stripper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here