Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Yellow Stain on White Cotton Blanket

Posted by angiepangie (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 21:56

I bought a nice, pretty cotton blanket second hand. The bottom. half has a yellow cast to it. I soaked in in a triple dose of White Brite for an hour, washed it, then soaked in in bleach for 10 minutes. It has faded, but is still noticeable. The blanket is on the older side so I am not sure what to do with it now. I have no idea what the stain was. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Yellow Stain on White Cotton Blanket

ok, went and looked up white brite, it is a sulfite meant to take out mineral or rust type stains. look for either enzyme stain remover (gets meat, urine, coffee, etc) or oxy based products (removes soap stains, makeup or dye type stains,
yellow from chemicals such as deodorant and perfumes)
Use separately. rinse the blanket and dry completely before commencing each treatment. If one doesn't take the stain out, the other might. best wishes

o
RE: Mystery Yellow Stain on White Cotton Blanket

Try Oxyclean. My cousin collects antique linens and swears by the stuff. She soaked some yellowed lace curtains in Oxy and they came out snow white. You might also try asking your local Dry Cleaner. They have cleaning methods, solvents and chemicals available that most people cannot buy.

This post was edited by jannie on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 9:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here