Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some type of 'fleas'??

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 21:54

I'm going nuts with some type of fleas that first appeared in an upstairs bathroom 2 summers ago. Now they're concentrating just on our kitchen, all around the window over the sink area of the counters. Our pest control guy was here last week, saw them but offered me no solution as to how to get rid of them (he was here for our quarterly ant spraying). I've seen them outside around a stone planter on the front stoop. Our cat is strictly indoors and has never had fleas (and these don't look like fleas that cats attract). I'm calling them fleas because I have no idea what they are. They're very tiny. Just sprayed the entire area around the window and counter with Raid. Ugh! I'm just wondering if this is some type of cyclical insect that is making its appearance after many years (sort of like the cicadas...we had them back in '04 here in the metro DC area).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some type of 'fleas'??

Google fungus gnats.... tehre are gnats that live in plqnt soil and even in sink drains....see if that's what you have.
Linda C

o

Thanks, Linda! OK I just googled fungus gnats but when I looked at the photo and read the description...I don't think what we have are fungus gnats. Our "whatevers" don't have legs (or ones that I can see). and no big wings either. When I see them on the counter, at first glance they look like tiny dark crumbs..then they move. I think I'm going to catch some and see if I can show them to a county extension agent (ticks me off that my pest control guy had no idea how to get rid of them...or that the spray he used that kills ants, silver fish and spider crickets is not killing these insects). I'll do some more googling, though so thanks for the suggestion. Ann

o

I can't give you any advice on what critters you have, but instead of using Raid in your kitchen, try using Home Defense by Ortho. It's safe around food, kids, pets, etc. and lasts a long time. Doesn't smell bad either.

o

I also have some type of fleas in my bathroom...they are around the sink and on the counter. They are small & black and don't appear to have legs, but can jump. Haven't seen them actually fly. I don't see them near the window. They appear in late Spring & last most of the summer...I really don't know what they are or what to do about them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here