Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clean nicotine from wood furniture

Posted by shequit (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 21:39

Looks like my first post did not work.
I have a 1920's bedroom set that is in perfect condition except the owners, my parents, smoked. Can anyone suggest a way of cleaning the nicotine off without damaging the wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clean nicotine from wood furniture

Just wipe with a soft clorth moistened with mineral spirits.
Linda C

o

Nicotine is basically an oil ... I wash with warm soapy water, and dry it thoroughly with a fresh cloth.

Then I wax and buff.

Wear cloves: nicotine can soak through your skin and make you really sick.

o

I avoid water on antique furniture at all costs...if the finish is laquer or shellac water will cloud the finish.
Nicotine is not an oil....but the smoke from tobacco can seem oily. Nicotine is water soluable....smoke stains are often oil based.
Nicotine soak through to your skin from washing smoke stains off of furniture??? I really don't think that is a problem.
You are not dealing with nicotine, but rather with smoke stains. Treat them like any oily stain. Mineral spirits is the safest way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here