Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to get grime off wood cabinets

Posted by hostarasta (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 21:37

Hello everyone out there in cleaning land!

We just moved from Michigan to Hercules California and are loving it. We are renting a 1970's house with medium-dark stained cabinets in the kitchen. The cabinets have grime that I can literally scrape off with my fingernail (sorry, I know that's gross). What is the best way to get the grime off? I have tried Murphy's Oil Soap in a few spots but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

I know someone out there in cleaning land has the answer.

Thanks in advance!

Marlene from Michigan (now Hercules!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to get grime off wood cabinets

Have you tried TSP (trisodium phosphate)? It's cheap. You buy a box of powder, follow directions to dissolve a measured amount in water, and have at it. Painters use TSP on walls and woodwork before painting. It's a serious cleaner and degreaser. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to wear gloves. I haven't used it in years but I have an old box stored away and plan to use it on my dark-stained wooden cabinets kitchen cabinets prior to painting them.

o

Ditto. Get it at the hardware store.

o

I'm wondering if Simple Green wouldn't do the trick, It's a great degreaser and is concentrated as well. On the site it says that on wood, to use it 30 parts water to 1 part Simple Green, or 50 parts water to 1 part Simple Green. Now considering this is accumulated grease, I would probably try it straight up with a scrubby. Then I'd make sure to rince and then put a nice protective coating on the cabinets afterwards. Probably a spray coat of laquer (not too shiny).

o

I like awesome you can find it at most $ stores and it cuts through almost anything. I use it with microfiber cloths found in the automotive section of $ stores. they can be washed and reused for almost anything from dusting to baths and kitchens

o

worked with this problem on&off 12 years tsp&afine scrubby should do the trick work areas thate can be rinsed before moving on rinse everything towel dry. do somthing you enjoy overnight today-rub in a good wood oil oyae paint store should have everithing good luck

o

I have always had great luck by using full strength Awesome (from the 99 cent store) on a Miracle cloth heated in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Be sure to wear gloves so you don't burn yourself.

o

Do you put the Awesome on the miracle cloth before putting it in the microwave?

o

I have greasy cabinets and asked this same question. The general concensus was use a miracle cloth and either Awesome or Castrol engine degreaser.

I haven't tried either yet. I'm waiting until I schedule a party and force myself to do thorough cleaning. If you do it first, let me know how it works (either method).

o

I have used "Krud Kutter" on cabinets. It works well. You can get it in Home Depot.

o

I use a microfiber cloth and either hot water or a little Simple Green (undiluted). Works great!

o

This weekend, gdd thought she was being cute by splattering cake batter in the kitchen. It made its way to the cabinets. I used my steam cleaner to get the cabinets clean. Then I just wiped dry.

o

I have read the postings, many great ideas. My question is; what is a miracle cloth?

o

I want to try the TSP for my oak kitchen cabinets. My only worry is that it will be to harsh. Is it safe for oak cabinets? Any ideas?

o

I haven't had that residue since I started using an electric range, it is the residue from cooking with a gas stove.

o

We put in light oak kitchen cabinets in 1988. I clean them every few months with "Parker and Bailey Kitchen Cabinet Kreme" . I bought it either on line or from a catalog. A creamy thick liquid in a white bottle, looks almost like Elmers glue. Never seen it in stores. I use a nylon (never metal) scrubby to really clean around the door handles.

o

I am new to this forum & have the same question as Debra, what exactly is a miracle cloth?

Here is a link that might be useful: Best way to get grime off wood cabinets

o

Miracle cloth is a microfiber cleaning cloth that really grabs dirt. You can get then in a bag of 25 for about $10 at Costco, or at Walmart or Target. Check in the auto dept along with car washing supplies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here