Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you clean an apartment balcony?

Posted by lauren.g (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 20:42

We are living in an apartment and have a bbq on our balcony. It has left yucky grease stains on the grey painted floor. We are living on the second floor so I can't just drench it as it will drip down onto our neighbours balcony on the first floor.

What product could I use to get the grease/dirt off and with what type of scrubby?

THANKS for your help and advice.

Lauren
: -)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you clean an apartment balcony?

have you tried hot water and bleach, on your hands & knees scrubbing in sections?

o

I would first try putting baking soda or kitty litter on the stain to absorb some of the grease. You will have to leave it on for at least 24 hours. Then use a degreaser. Good luck.

o

Thanks for your advice!

I will try both and see how it goes.

Can you give me an example of a degreaser please?

o

This is a great cleaner/degreaser I found at Ace Hardware a few years ago. Works great on grease stains, and even on laundry stains. It doesn't smell great; just works great. I'm sure other stores sell it as well. Greased Lightening.
http://www.glblast.com/products/Products.aspx?ProductId=1

o

I am living in Montreal so I am not sure if my local Canadian Tire will carry that "Greased lightning" product though I am sure they will have something comparable. If that doesnt work, then I will do the carpet thing.

I know this will sound nuts but when I am on my deck reading a book, I get distracted by the grease/dirt and just can't relax. I really need to give it a good cleaning....I wish I was one of those people who just didn't care. : 0 )

o

How about a mat that covers the balcony but you can shake out to clean?

o

That is a good idea as well. I will look in to all these options.

I am a teacher and this is my last week of school and then I will have time off to do some things around the apartment (i.e. clean the deck, wash duvet cover, clean the moldings etc..) I am looking foward to catching up on some housekeeping.

o

Wait till late at night, make sure your neighbors aren't around. Clean your deck with water. It will dry by morning and no one will be offended.

o

Try some of the degreasers used for cleaning car engines.
Auto dept. Canadian Tire. Then put down a mat...

o

I get Greased Lightening at the local hardware store too. They have a huge section of household cleaners.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here