Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help! streaks on walls...magic eraser...

Posted by lizstanton08 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 20:29

I heard good things about the magic eraser, so I used it to remove a few scuff marks on the wall. However, it left huge streaks on the wall, and when I tried to rinse it with water multiple times, the streaks only became bigger.

What can I do to fix this problem?

I live in an apt. and can't repaint.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help! streaks on walls...magic eraser...

It sounds like you have flat wall paint, not a gloss. Nothing will help except repainting; you have wiped layers of paint off. Cleaning flat-painted surfaces is hard to do, the semi-gloss is much easier to clean.

Sorry there is nothing else for you to do, but paint is cheap, and if you get the same color I can't see why your landlord would disapprove.

o
RE: please help! streaks on walls...magic eraser...

I agree, nothing but repainting will fix this. But, you don't have to repaint the whole wall, just that area.

Keep an empty pickle or other glass jar handy, and the next time you see the painter in an apartment, ask for some touch up paint. Buy a $1 disposable brush and you are good to go.

Otherwise, remove one of the electrical outlet cover plates and take it to the closest paint store and have them match it.

If your walls are white, the painters are probably using a paint store's pre-mixed color called Shell White. Start with the paint store closest to you. That's probably where the painters are going.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here