Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tache_gw

Washing stained down comforter

TACHE
16 years ago

I have a summer down comforter that has been folded in a duvet cover at the bottom of a guest bed all winter. When I took it out to wash it I found it was badly stained...tea, coffee, bodily fluids?....people,dogs?....I don't know. Is there a way to wash it without distroying the down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Tache

Comments (5)

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

You can wash down with a small amount of mild detergent that doesn't contain enzymes. Woolite or Ivory Snow works. Use cold water and rinse twice. Do not use fabric softener. Dry thoroughly on low heat with two new clean tennis balls in the drier. The tennis balls keep the down from clumping. Make sure the down is completely dry, otherwise it will smell. If you have spots, go ahead and stain treat the outer fabric making sure it doesn't soak through to the down. Using a stain stick would be easiest. It's not good to wash them too often but occasional laundering is okay.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Down washes very well....comforters, jackets, vests, ski pants....whatever.
    I have never washed any down comforterer more than 3...possibly 4 times....but I sure washed jackets and vests a lot when I had teenagers! I don't think there is a limit on the number of times down can be washed.
    Since you don't know what the stain is....I would cover all bases and use an enzyme cleaner. I have washed down comforters in Natures Miracle at least 2 times...it's the best thing I know of for removing urine....from a rug or a comforter.....and I know at least one dog (!!) who thinks a down comforter is the ideal potty spot!
    Linda C

• trekker
    16 years ago

I wash down pillows, sleeping bags, jackets using a special soap for down that I buy at REI, but I suspect that baby shampoo might work just as well. For large items such as sleeping bags and comforters, I do them in big front-loading machines at the laundromat using the delicate cycle with cold water. It's very important to get all the soap out. If you used too much soap, run another cycle with no soap. You can speed up the drying process by rolling the item in towels (let it sit and you might want to change the towels a few times) and then putting it into the dryer with some clean tennis balls. It may take a few days to get it completely dry. Your nose will tell you when it's dry because wet down stinks.

• TACHE
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much. It came out as thick and fluffy as when it was new. I'm not sure now that it really was a summer quilt. The stains didn't come out so I just put it back in it's nice clean tan cover and I guess I will call it mocha.
    Now on to all the pillows etc. I think we could have put another boy thru college for what I foolishly spent having all this stuff cleaned. Again many thanks......Tache

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

You can put the pillows in the big loaders at the laudromat and tumbled dry them too.