Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disinfecting Kitchen Countertops

Posted by happylady1957 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 19:55

Hello All,

I'm curious as to how those of you with granite, quartz and other expensive countertops disinfect them? We are due to look for new countertops, and I realized I probably could not use my beloved chlorine bleach to clean up after yucky raw chicken that drips, etc. Also, how about the sink? Could I have colored porcelain? Thanks in advance for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disinfecting Kitchen Countertops

I clean granite kitchen countertops with a mixture of water/alcohol in a spray bottle. Works great and does not leave water spots.

I also use water/alcohol on mops to clean the porcelain tile floors.

o

I use the Lotus.
Before the Lotus I would use 50/50 water and white vinegar.

o

I use hot, soapy water on my granite, and I like undermounted stainless for sinks, as it is the easiest and most hygenic to keep clean. There is a lot of evidence that we are overdoing the disinfecting of our houses...most of the time, just washing away the germy things is enough.
When I am going to be handling chicken, I start by putting a pan or bowl of hot, soapy water and a paper towel in the sink, and pulling out my trash can so I can drop things in it without handling the cabinet or the can. Then I get out any oil and seasonings I'm going to use, and put them into the little glass bowls I use for prepping, so I don't have to touch the spice drawers or bottles. I put the chicken on a clean plate when I take it out of the package, and wipe it with a couple of paper towels, which is better than washing it, which just spreads any germs or icky stuff around. None of this is complicated when you get in the habit, and makes getting the chicken ready to cook really easy, with no cross-contamination. Everything just goes into the soapy water or the trash when I am done with it, and all that organized prep makes me feel like a Top Chef!

o

Thanks all, for your input. I didn't realize that a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water would be enough to disinfect? Also, how would I get rid of tea stains and the like from a granite counter? Thanks!

o

Be careful about using vinegar on granite, some types of granite will etch. I use hot, soapy water and/or a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol/water with a squirt of soap. I'm not sure if it really disinfects, but I don't think granite really harbors much bacteria.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here