Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

ecloths - are they worth it? Cross post from kitchens

a2gemini
9 years ago

My running group is all excited about the ecloths and how wonderful they are - they all ordered them and think they are the best thing since Mother Nature.
I am not affiliated with ecloth nor have I tried them.

The videos on YouTube look interesting - they rub chicken juice on the counter and then germ swab it. Then they clean with the ecloth and germ swab it again. The first time, the swab turns red and the second time it stays green meaning no bacteria.

It uses just the cloth and water - no chemicals - supposedly it picks up the bacteria with the very small fibers and they are re-useable - you can toss in the laundry or super hot hotter to clean.

I am always skeptical but wondered if anyone has tried them.

Here is the link to one of the YouTube videos

Help me prevent making a mistake if these are a waste of $$
Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLU0HIDl5qA&sns=em

Comments (6)

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

It is my understanding that any microfiber cloth will accomplish the same thing by drawing any substance into the fiber of the towel and holding it.

The microfiber cloths with the antibacterial agent (the Antibac agent) does NOT disinfect the surface (countertop) you are cleaning. The Antibac agent is only a cloth âÂÂself-purifierâ for the dirt/bacteria the cloth picked up and trapped. (See the link below - that's where I got the information.)

I would like to see the raw chicken juice on the counter test from the video done not only using the ecloth, but also a plain ordinary microfiber cloth and water, a cotton cloth and plain water, as well as hot soapy dish water, a sanitizing solution recommended by the USDA of 1 quart water + 1 t. bleach, or even a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. I suspect they will all remove the meat juice protein the same way the ecloth did.

Personally, even though I have a good selection of microfiber cloths (both run-of-the-mill and with the antibacterial agent) and do occasionally use them, I have a tactile problem with the "feel" of them on my hands and prefer a cotton cloth. Another thing that annoys me, once a microfiber cloth gets dirty (like when hubby details the car), they are nearly impossible to get clean looking again.

I also understand microfiber towels are not all that environmental, if that is a concern. Cotton cloths will decompose quickly. It may take hundreds of years for a microfiber cloth to decompose.

One GOOD thing about microfiber towels..... If you want to cut down on bath towels in the laundry, one small 18-inch microfiber towel is all you need to dry off after a shower/bath/swimming, and it will quickly air-dry for reuse. If it has the antibacterial agent in it, it will also kill any bacteria remaining on the fibers. So buy a bundle of them in the car care section of the store and take a few microfiber towels to the beach instead of those giant beach towels. They are also great when camping/hiking.

Gather more information until you can make a good determination.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Norwec Microfiber Cloths

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grainlady - thanks for your honest thoughts on the issue.
    Good point on Microfiber and testing using other products.
    Our running group might just test a few items.

I can't stand some microfiber cloths - but love my microfiber sponges from WS - I think I will stick with them until the jury has exonerated all other products. These don't attack my hands and feel nice. It looks like ecloth has a similar version but larger - but I like the smaller ones from WS.

• emma
    9 years ago

I dislike microfiber cloths, it takes 2 hands to open them up and they stick to other clothes in the dryer. You cannot shake them out like you can a reg wash cloth or towel. I do have some because they were not marked as microfiber on the package. I am using them because they match the colors in my kitchen and they dry quickly. Will not buy more.

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

Care instructions for microfiber towels:

â¢Pre-soak in a bucket of warm water and dish detergent to help loosen the dirt particles
    â¢Launder in your washing machine with detergent separate from any other type of fabric.
    â¢Do not use any bleach or fabric softener when you clean the microfibers. The fabric softener clogs the microfibers while the bleach actually deteriorates the towels
    â¢Toss in the dryer and turn to tumble dry (low) or no heat at all. Heat will melt the microfibers and effect their performance
    â¢Do not iron the microfibers (once again the heat issue)

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - any tech materials should never use fabric softeners - including tech sports clothes for the same reason

• breenthumb
    9 years ago

,One GOOD thing about microfiber towels..... If you want to cut down on bath towels in the laundry, one small 18-inch microfiber towel is all you need to dry off after a shower/bath/swimming,

I don't use them to dry off but do leave a thin washcloth sized one in gym bag to stand on after swimming/shower. That little thing keeps the floor and my feet dry so I'm not getting dressed in a puddle.