Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinegar to clean glass. It Stinks.

Posted by polyd (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 19:06

I like how clean and natural vinegar is and all, but for the most part it takes forever to get the small out of my house and even using half vinegar and half water the smell is getting to me so much that I am looking for another alternative. I tried putting some essential oils in it- no help. I am very sensitive to smells so I can't use regular glass cleaner- the ammonia makes me dizzy and affects my asthma. Any ideas on cleaning my glass tables? And it has to clean dog marks on windows too ;-)

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinegar to clean glass. It Stinks.

That's more vinegar than anyone needs to use. Usually it's about a 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water ratio. You might try this, although the alcohol also smells. You need to mix it well and continue shaking it up.

The odor dissipates pretty quickly.

1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
1/4 c. white vinegar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 c. warm water

You also might try substituting lemon juice for the vinegar.

This post was edited by rrah on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 8:09

o

You could add a few drops of an essential oil that you like the smell of.

o

Plain water on a microfiber cloth should work on almost everything.

o

yep... agree with lazygardens.. plain water and microfiber cloth most things.
also like rrah said, use much less vinegar.

o

I'm not a vinegar fan myself (I've seen it eat away tile grout). I use water and a few drops of Dawn for glass (start with maybe a teaspoon or less for a 32 oz. spray bottle; adjust +/-.

o

I just use a damp microfiber cloth!

o

50/50 alcohol and water in spray bottle makes a great glass cleaner. I use this on kitchen counters, sinks, tile floors, toilet seats, mirrors, windows, glass coffee table, etc. Dries fast with no streaks.

I am very sensitive to cleaners.

o

I am going to try the 50/50 water and alcohol. I tried plain water and microfiber- it worked ok but it didn't get the grease off. Thanks guys!

o

Use some lemon drops with vinegar for cleaning your glass table. After cleaning with vinegar, wash it with water. Then it will not smell bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here