Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
driveway oil cleaner ... does it work?

Posted by vieja (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 18:18

saw an ad for a driveway cleaner: Rejuvenate Stain Sealer.

Supposedly it contains 'microbes that eat away the oil,tar, etc. ...' $19.99 ordered from www.forlifeproducts.com or from Home Depot. Has anyone tried this product &, if so, did it do the job as advertized? Have a tenant that moved in with a vehicle oil leak that dripped all over a newly poured $$ concrete drive!!

Would appreciate any thoughts on this product!

-vieja

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: driveway oil cleaner ... does it work?

I haven't used that, but it's cheap enough to give it a shot. I would make the tenant pay for the cleanup; maybe wait until they move out or fix the vehicle to do the cleaning so you don't have to worry about redoing it again and again.

We have always used cat litter to soak up the oil and then dishwashing detergent soaking into the concrete for several hours then rinse with a hose. There are some dark spots left, but not as noticeable as the oil spill itself.

o

I use oven cleaner.

o

The idiots at the oil change place didn't fasten something, and we ended up with lots of oil stains on our carport cement floor. I got Pour-n-Restore at our local Ace Hardware, which removed the stains easily. It is a liquid that is poured on the stain, spread with a small brush or broom, and when it dries to a powder you sweep it away with the stain. Worked for us! Anyone know of a competent oil change place?

o

Thanks, I will try both products to see which-if either- will help. When someone knows they have a leaky oil problem with their car I'd hope they would either fix it (dream on!) or at least lay down a piece of carpet or pan to catch the oil! Hubby said pouring gasoline on the spot, scrubbing with a broom & then hosing it down might work (he was a mechanic) but not great for the environment I'd guess!

o

For a rental, I'd get a sheet of fiber cement board and place it in the drive where drips occur.

To clean a spill, I used the cheapest powdered laundry detergent I could find. Water, scrub brush on a handle and a bit of time did the trick.

o

Awesome cleaner from Dollar Tree. Spray on undiluted, leave for 15-20 minutes and give it a light scrub. Rinse. Cheap, easy, effective, non-toxic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here