Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yasy_gw

Viking Range cleaning problems

yasy
15 years ago

I hope someone can offer me some advice because I am at my wit's end!! I have a Viking Range and Viking Rangetop which I can't seem to clean with any products so far. I have got brown stains (am assumming from the flame) around the burners. These stains aren't from spills. I have tried Barkeeper's Friend (suggested by Viking Service guy), Mr. Clean wipes and dish washing liquid. Finally, I tried Oven cleaner which has changed the colour on the aluminium of the burner!! The surface of the stove is black enamel which lost it's lustre the first week of use. It has got smudges. I paid a lot of money for these appliances and within weeks of using, the appliances looked like they were 20 years old. Arrrgh...I hope someone can give me a solution.

Comments (54)

• Melissa Kroger
    15 years ago

I have a 48" Viking range with 6 burners and griddle. It is 4 years old and the stove-top surface and burners are impossible to clean. I do the best I can with Barkeepers friend, Windex and green scouring sponge, but accept the fact that it will never really look great. I have had endless trouble with this overpriced range; right now 3 burners don't light w/out using a lighter and the larger oven is not working at all. I guess the appearance of the stove top is the least of my worries!

• morganbrent_netscape_net
    12 years ago

On the black enamel I use pledge and this keeps mine shinning as new. This works great on the brushed aluminum as well. My problem is cleaning the black iron parts. My stovetop is about 8 mos. old and the burner grates are starting to show discoloration from cooking stains that don;t seem to come off. The iron burner cap diverters have spots that won't wash off. Is this where you all are using barkeepers friend?

• dockside_gw
    12 years ago

This won't help those who already shelled out megabucks for their range. But, to those who are considering doing so, my advice is to get an induction cooktop.

Induction is much more controllable than gas, much more efficient, you can even melt chocolate without a double boiler, and, the best part - a total snap to keep clean.

• jazzyjeff33228_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Get a large plastic bucket, fill with 50% ammonia and 50% water - soak the grills in it for 2 hours and then scrub with steel wool and hose clean. You'll be good to go. My issue is rusting on the bottom where the enamel paint has chipped and water has touched.

• stellarschwartz
    8 years ago

Haven't found a solution for the iron grates, but for the black range top, I wipe it down with alcohol and use power pad (or any type of microfiber buff cloth to make it shine. Works like a charm. Best of best Stainless Steel cleaner? ZEP!!! Totally awesome.

• cedelchef
    8 years ago

What works for me on that silver part around the burners is a scotch brite stay clean pad use the rough side and Barkeeper's liquid. If I have stains on the stovetop, I wet a paper towel and let it sit a few minutes wipes right up. If the stove top is greasy after my son makes a burger with no lid, I spray with Greased Lighting and wipe, then follow with dish cloth with a little Dawn. For the grates I used vegetable oil on them for the first few months and now just wipe of any cooking stains they look good. My Viking range will be a year old in June.

• jeff Nolan
    7 years ago

Our Viking range came with the house we purchased. Range is about 5- 6 years old. The silver rings (aluminum ?) around each burner were in desperate need of cleaning. I ended up taping around each ring with 3m blue painters tape to protect the black enameled drip tray. I then used 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Wetting the paper as I sanded the rings. Took a lot of elbow grease but they clean up and are bright. Trouble is I've noticed some minor staining a few weeks after cleaning (tho not nearly as bad ). I'm not aware of any clear sealer that could be applied that would withstand the heat so I assume the sandpaper will be a quarterly ritual ... Or get used to them being dirty. I'm wondering if the reddish staining is due to the mercaptan they add to natural gas to give natural gas its 'smell'.

• Paul Cotter
    6 years ago

I don't have a solution. But another issue and warning. My Viking was in the house when I bought it a few years ago, so I did not have a manual. I wish I had, because I washed the front panel (with the knobs) with Windex and the words and markings came right off!!! I've since downloaded a manual and read that this will happen if you use products that contain ammonia. But sheesh! What dim bulb designs a stove that you can't use Windex on???

• allen_judi
    6 years ago

I have done the same. I wonder if they have stickers (? Don't know the correct word) that you can peel off and apply. All mine say is "high", "medium", and "low".

• pattiriel
    6 years ago
    Anyone know how to clean the inside of a Viking “Backguard”?
  • dcarendt
    6 years ago

actually they do have stickers .... i saw them at allvikingparts.com - not sure of pricing.

• allen_judi
    6 years ago

Wow, thank you very much. I'll check them out

• allen_judi
    6 years ago

I just went to their website and it's amazing. I really can't thank you enough

• margotgonz
    5 years ago

I have an 8 burner all gas Viking range that I purchased in July, 2017. And like many of you, have experienced the discoloration of the burner grates and copper burner. Tonight I decided to try a combination of methods to try to get them lookingblike they did when my stove was delivered. Going on the assumption that when you get a new cast iron skillet , it first has to be seasoned , I thought that I would do the same for the cast iron grates. My 1year old grates had developed a white ashy film on them. I first soaked them in a solution of hot water and ammonia, make sure they are fully submerged ( I used a large plastic dish pan ( you can get them at Walmart/Target and did 2grates at a time) . Soak them for about 5-10 minutes. Next , I took them out of the ammonia solution and sprayed them with Barkerpers Friend Spray/Foam. I scrubbed them with a blue scrubbie sponge and rinsed them with hot water. After they were dry, I took a clean sponge and put some vegetable oil in a bowl . I dipped the sponge in the vegetable oil and wiped each grate with the oil. Next , I let them dry overnight. The grates look like new. For the copper burners , I found that the copper cream cleaner and polish works like a miracle. I first clean them with Barkeepers Friend and then I apply the copper cleaner cream. I use a sponge to cover the copper burner and then wash it off with hot water and dry it to a shiny polish with a soft dish towel. Check the little holes and use a toothpick to remove any copper cream that might have gotten stuck in the holes. I can vouch for the Pledge on the black ceramic base, I clean it first with hot water and some Fullers grease cleaner and after it’s dry I polish it with the Pledge on a soft towel..it really does polish it nicely.

• Immanuel L'Heureux
    5 years ago

I believe the burner caps are brass, not copper. I tried many of the pieces of advise given on this website and others. The one that works best for me is white vinegar and salt. I took a small tupperware container and put about an inch of white vinegar in. As soon as i put my burner cap in i saw it starting to clean off the black residue. I added salt. I scrubbed with a toothbrush, while keeping the burner cap submerged. It didn't clean them to the brand new look, however it made a world of difference. They are cleaner today than they have been in 12+ years. It took about 3 minutes of soaking and scrubbing with a toothbrush to make a world of difference. i used a 3m scrub sponge as well.

• 136victoria
    5 years ago

I bought a house with a Viking six burner range top. The black enamel is shot, so many areas that the paint has been scrubbed off. Is there any hope. If it weren't for the money, I would replace it with a Blue Star range top. I have a Blue Star range in my current home and I love the open burners. I HATE sealed burners.

• Monika Agic
    5 years ago

Viking Range I bought has holes on the top. This is such poor design and poor quality. Very unhappy with Viking products and their non-existent customer service. Overpriced crap. Much better to buy GE or LG.

• texascarrie
    4 years ago

Cream metal cleaner works great on the brass burner caps. Mine look like new! Viking says to wipe the surface with hot soapy water after each use to get the grease off before it heats up again and you can't get it off. Then wipe with a microfiber cloth. Never use cleanser! It's a pain but it works,

• Laura Osman
    3 years ago

My Viking is white enamel and has a lot of brown discoloration. It’s about 10 years old but when we bought the house 2 years ago, the construction cleaning crew was able to clean it so I know it can be done! Unfortunately I can’t reach them to ask what they used. Anybody know?

• Gary Wilson
    3 years ago

Believe it or not, the best thing I have found for buffing and shining, especially stainless, is, ahem, (personal) lubricant. I discovered this completely by accident, don't ask! As for the stains, WD-40 and some #0000 steel wool is probably your best choice.

• HU-557987090
    3 years ago

FYI On Amazon you can order a cover if you will of the stove top with cutouts for all the burners. Looking at this... As many have said this top whether porcelain or etc. (not sure) is a bear to keep clean. Once you have built on crud, I don't see how you can ever get it off !

• Yona Trustman
    3 years ago

I put the cast iron grates in the oven like you would do to reseason a pan... all the oil cooks off and they look brand new twice a year! Ammonia and hot soapy water soak for black enamel parts with a 3m scrubby every few months for cooked on stuff. Otherwise weekly wipe down with surface cleaner and it’s pretty good! 20 years old

• Laura Osman
    3 years ago

Nice! Thanks for the tips. Mine is white so you can imagine how much fun that is... And my cast iron is now rusting?!

• Yona Trustman
    3 years ago

You should def oil it after cleaning!

• Steven Wenzler
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yona. Did the Ammonia w/Soapy water work for the 'burnt' areas on the enamel rings that surround the burners? Ours stove is red and it makes me crazy - Can seem to remove all the black spots/burn marks. Thanks.

• Yona Trustman
    3 years ago

The best for burnt burnt stuff on enamel rings and holders is over cleaner!! The real stinky kind that foams up!

• Yona Trustman
    3 years ago

Oven

• Laura Osman
    3 years ago

I have used the oven cleaner but if you use it too often, it starts to take the white off the enamel. Nobody should have a white stove!

• Yona Trustman
    3 years ago

Oh no! Maybe don’t leave it on for very long? And this gets done once a month...

• spindle22
    3 years ago

I throw the grates in the dishwasher. The only way I have been able to remove the black staining on the aluminum ring is with a flat razor blade.

• Joshua Higgins
    3 years ago

I bought a used 48” Viking dual fuel with a griddle a few weeks ago, it’s in amazing shape (no dings, dents, etc.) but it’s dirty and the burner grills show some age. I’ve been researching cast iron restoration and came across a method where you soak the cast iron in a lye solution (which is basically what EasyOff is) to remove build up, then you soak it it distilled white vinegar and it takes off the rust. Then, you season it with a high heat oil like peanut oil. Has anyone tried this with Viking burner grills? Are they 100% cast iron or is there an enamel on them?

• Joshua Higgins
    3 years ago

One further comment on the above, the cast iron cleanup protocol I mention says that you can soak the cast iron in lye for 12-24 hours (or even longer) and it won’t cause rust because of the lye, but don’t leave them in the vinegar for longer than 8-12 hours because that can cause pitting and permanent damage.

• Evelyn B.
    2 years ago

When I moved into my house from a previous owner my cast iron grids on the atice Viking stove have become whitish color. My housekeeper seems to always clean them but they have become nasty… especially on the ends parts

• Evelyn B.
    2 years ago

My housekeeper cleans the parts with easy off… she say otherwise they stay greasy…. I hate to see my stove with all these whittish coloring towards the ends

• stellarschwartz
    2 years ago

I have a new Viking gas top range and clean it after I use it. I use a wet microfiber hot cloth with Dawn dishwasher detergent and then spray it with alcohol and wipe it down. If it starts to lose a little color I rub a little grapeseed oil on those areas and it looks great.

• AV
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So, I i have a viking gas professional 48” 6 burner + griddle that we bought brand new around 6 years ago. when we got it, the burners were coated in a gray paintlike finish. It has since washed off/peeled and looks terrible. over the years, I've tried every to make it look like new. i came up with my own solution. ive been doing it now for years…citric acid (i buy a large bag from amazon) + white vinegar + hot water. let them soak. then i scrub and wha-la! now, my dilemma is the black painted iron grates. got them clean but also, some of the black coating has come off. i dont need to buy new ones…can i spray paint with a very high temp stove / grill paint? anyone ever tried?

• AV
    2 years ago

• lvincent0201
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have a question. we have a viking stainless steel gas range and oven and my only complainst is that there are little tiny rust colored stains on the stainless steel above where the knobs are. anything i can do about this?

• Lisa Lee
    2 years ago

We recently bought a Viking range and stainless steel in the front looked streaky. We called Viking and they sent out a metal fabricator to buff out the streak. And then we noticed small rust spots so we called Viking again. I'm hoping that they'll send someone out again to buff out the rust spots.. I rather have a professional do it than me with steel wool.

• HU-888750633
    last year

Try a brass wire brush (small - see Amazon) for the burner caps, and brass part under the cap where the gas (and subsequently flame) comes out of. Use a solution of vinegar & water for the porcelain burner pan. Spray on, leave on for a few minutes, wipe off. Then take a clean cloth or paper towel & wipe the pan to get smeary stuff. For difficult stuff stuck to pan, put backing soda on in. Wait for a few minutes. Then pour some vinegar on it GRADUALLY - DON'T PUT IT ALL ON AT ONCE - EXPERIMENT WITH THIS UNTIL YOU SEE WHAT THIS DOES - you don't want to get stuff bubbling up under the burner cap and down into the area where the gas comes in! After you pour some vinegar on the baking soda, let it bubble, then wipe clean with cloth or paper towel. Then rinse with damp towel (water or vinegar/water solution), followed by a dry cloth or paper towel.

• Laura Osman
    last year

Thank you! Will try that.

• Laura Osman
    last year

Thank you, will try that.

• M.J. Lyman
    8 months ago

The stove is the easy part to clean....... Cleaning the inside of a Viking hood, might as well buy a new one........

• Kate
    8 months ago

I always thought I wanted a beautiful Viking range until I spent two weeks with one, no thank you I will just keep my easy clean induction cooktop! The Viking was much too much maintenance on a daily after every cooking session to keep the kitchen and stove looking nice. Looks nice in the magazines though so perhaps if you don’t cook much.

• Carol Ross
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I use EcoGurus Cleaning Paste. I bought it at Amazon but it is currently sold out. Here is another seller: The EcoGurus – Highest Strength Natural Cleaning Paste! – All Purpose Cleaner! – Clean Your Kitchen, Oven, Bathroom, Toilet, Limescale, Trainers, Surfaces, Garden, Furniture, BBQ, etc – BigaMart It still takes elbow grease but it worked for me. Note that I will never buy another Viking gas stove top!!! Y

• Jill Rightmier
    2 months ago

I too am not the type to embrace the look of my scratched brown black cooktop. the brass i paid exta for makes me think i need a therapist. right there with you on the uggggggg

• HU-694931078
    24 days ago

The ONLY solution is to NOT buy Viking products!!!!!!! Their customer service is worthless/nearly non existent, Cleaning these appliances is impossible, they don't carry parts for anything over 7 years ( which speaks to their quality) I built a new kitchen in 2004 and bought all Viking appliances at a hefty price tag and have regretted it for 20 years! I finally got rid of my double wall oven 2 years ago, The bottom oven hadn't worked in 5 years, the top oven thermostat went out and NO PARTS available! The stovetop with 4 burners and a griddle never seem to look clean despite my efforts, there are so many areas that cannot be reached for cleaning but collect crumbs and spills, the burners constantly need to be "sanded" to remove residue buildup, the hood has removable panels which can go into the dishwasher, but, for the area surrounding the panels you need to be a contortionist to clean those areas, the backsplash behind the stove has warming racks attached and they cannot be removed for cleaning(REALLY?!!!) My refridgerator went out after 7 years I had to replace it but not before fighting with the company for a year and then they offered the replacement for half price!!!!!! Awful company and I share that information every chance I get! Oh, almost forgot the dishwasher, after a few months, I got tired of having to hoist a full bottom rack back onto its tracks, reached out to Viking and they "sold" me wider rollers to the tune of $100.00, adding yet another insult!