Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinegar + Shower + Tile + Grout

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 15:56

First time in the cleaning forum & kind of excited to see what you folks say about contradicting info I have seen on the web.

Our shower is a glass enclosure with ceramic tiles on the shower walls.

We used undiluted vinegar & lemon to spray down the shower after squeegee.

Have seen posted that this can either harm or not harm the tiles & grout & caulking around the shower.

Comments? & Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinegar + Shower + Tile + Grout

My first thought is that if you squeegee the shower, that's good enough. What are you hoping the vinegar/lemon spray will do?

The general idea of cleaning products is that you apply something to a soiled surface for the purpose of loosening the dirt and then wipe or rinse off the soil and cleaning substance. In your case, you are spraying an acid on your shower - but to what end?

o

@graywings: thanks for your feedback. My goal with the vinegar is to provide an inexpensive but effective natural way to keep mold & mildew off my show walls & enclosure.

It obviously works as my shower has been extraordinarily clean ever since we started using this process.

However, I've read contradicting articles & opinions on line as to what the acidic nature of vinegar will do to the tiles & grout.

o

I use straight vinegar too in my shower and I've never had a problem with it doing any damage. It is good against mould

o

What has worked well for me for over 20 years is to squeegee the shower and let a fan blow into the shower. I leave the fan on all night after showers.

There will be no mold in a dry shower and no possible damage of an acid gradually eating into the tile or grout surface.

o

http://www.flceramic.com/en/faq.html

Good info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here