Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_n_kev

Post construction- will I ever be dust free?

barb_n_kev
13 years ago

We are almost done with construction, still trying to finish up door casings and baseboards. We installed dark hardwood floors, which I have seen my friends keep clean with a huge golden retreiver in their home, so I know it's possible.

I tried using a swiffer and the Bona, both left streaks. I've been vacumming w/ my Dyson and then mopping with Murphy's oil soap, but even that is streaky. Does anyone have suggestions? We have two cats and the house is 2100 sf of wood and stone. Roomba? Euro steamer? Give up and have dirty feet all the time :-(

Comments (6)

• pastaff
    13 years ago

we just moved into our new construction home. We have a dark, handscraped hickory floor in our entryways and kitchen, along with a golden retriever. I have been swiffering until today when I finally had time to actually clean the floors. I used Bona and microfiber mop, they look much better and feel clean. Our floors have a matte finish and distress look so they are supposed to be easier keep looking clean. We were living in a house that was 4500 sq feet of hardwood, some dark, high gloss, that was a nightmare. The homeowner said she found that hot water worked best, everything else left a film. I tried hot water on a microfiber mop and it worked well. Good luck! Patty

• jannie
    13 years ago

We took up some old 70's Shag carpetting and found beautiful oak floors beneath, so we hired a guy to sand and finish them. We hung sheets to try to contain the wood dust but we had fine dust in every single room. Took wet cloths and wiped every surface. every wall and ceiling, all woodwork. . It was a lot of work, but it is possible to get rid of dust eventually, lots of elbow grease.Good luck! Microfibre didn't exist in those days. I think we used cotton sheets ripped up.

• ebear1271
    13 years ago

Have you had your vents cleaned? It can make a huge difference in the amount of dust in your home. As far as dark floors and golden retrievers, all I can say is that either the dogs are bald or someone spends their entire day vacuuming LOL! We have a golden/lab mix, a beagle mutt, and 2 cats and we recently installed high gloss dark wood laminate in the kitchen. An hour after I clean it you'd never know i did anything. Every speck of dust and hair shows up immediately and I've pretty much given up. I do what I can but I won't spend the whole day mopping and vacuuming the floor! For the short time it's clean I use the Bruce hardwood floor care system. The kit comes with a mop head, a terrycloth type cover, and a spray cleaner. It works very well but I have noticed that if I haven't mopped for a few days I have to do it twice to get it really clean.

• gardenspuds
    13 years ago

We have hardwood floors. I've tried a lot of products, and find that the 3M Scotch Brite microfiber duster followed by the green "mop" works well (both can be thrown in the washer). I use Murphys oil soap. Are you diluting it yourself? I find if it's not diluted enough, streaks are left and the floor feels a little tacky.

But the biggest difference in my house has been the addition of a couple of room purifiers. Although they aren't cheap, Blueair purifiers are great. Very quiet, and it has rEALLY cut down on the dust.

Barbara

• graywings123
    13 years ago

In my opinion, the less liquid you use on wood floors, the better off you are. Are you using the hard floor tool attachment on your Dyson? That should be sucking up the dust enough that you don't need a second step. But if I were to go on to a second step, it would be with a dry or barely damp microfiber cloth.

Here is a link that might be useful: dyson hard floor tool

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

clean the vents and change the intake filters every months for few months