Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which steam cleaner?

Posted by paulasims (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 15:19

Hi All,
I have been reading about the steam cleaners and like the idea of them but have a question as to which one. I tried the Shark and hated it because it didn't seem to be doing anything and was so hard to push.

On the Allergy Buyer's site (http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/vapor-steam-cleaners.html) I see the LadyBug, Reliable, and WhiteWing but the price differences are amazing. Do I NEED to spend that much money? What is the TANC system on the LadyBug?

Thanks so much for your help.

Paula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which steam cleaner?

First, let me say I am NOT an expert on this subject, so these are just my opinions formed from reading. Yes, there appear to be two levels of steam cleaners - the $100 and under range and the $300-500-$2,000 and up range.

Many people on this forum are very happy with their Shark Steam Mops. It would seem that there is either something wrong with your machine or your technique in using the Shark. My guess would be the machine. These are inexpensive products mass produced in China, and some percentage of them are defective. Send it back and get a replacement.

I have one of the higher end steam cleaners. The difference seems to come down to the temperature of the water, the size of the water tank, and the amount of steam vapor the machine puts out. For example, the Shark company doesn't give any information on the water temperature, while mine heats to 302 degrees in the tank. The cost of the higher end steamers seems to be in the heating element and the type of tank.

I had not heard of the TANC system on the LadyBug, but found a page on the web that describes it:

Our Ladybug includes a Thermal Accelerated Nano Crystal Sanitization (TANCS), a device that turns the minerals in tap water into nano-crystals. These crystals, when heated from 210F to 220F, are energized to provide micro-abrasion to break through dirt and bio-film layers on surfaces. The system acts as a poultice; as the heat expands and then dissipates, it pulls out dirt, oils, etc from surfaces onto our cotton towels. Within seconds, this system can deliver a deeper, cleaner, and sanitized surface. It makes surfaces look new again!

Again, I'm not an expert, but that sounds like a description of steam cleaning, and every other steamer out there does the same thing - boil tap water and spray it out! So if LadyBug has a TANC system, then they all have TANC systems.

The Allergy Buyer's Club site has lots of good info, but keep in mind that it is still a sales site. They seem to only review products that they sell. Don't confuse it with the independent reporting of something like Consumer Reports.

Here is a link that might be useful: TANC system on the LadyBug

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here