Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing 'biological' material from car floor mat.

Posted by rdmusc (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 13:29

Unbeknownst to me, a pack of ground turkey was left on the floor board in the car for a couple of days while temps were in the 90s. This package burst open and while I was able to clean the stuff you can see, some liquid product seeped into the mat. Is there a product that can neutralize via biological process to get rid of the odors.

Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing 'biological' material from car floor mat.

What do you mean, biological process? For a removable mat, I would use laundry detergent with enzymes, which will break apart the proteins, and some oxygen bleach, which reduces just about anything organic, in HOT water. Let it soak for maybe an hour. Rinse, and let dry in the sun. That is what I would do if it were my car mat. Aggressive oxygen bleach+heat+sun can fade colors, so if you're sensitive to that, test first of course.

o

Enzymatic process. We bought something from Home Depot today that is an enymatic cleaner. Wait to 'smell' the results.

o

Be sure and soak the area well and wait at least overnight to sop it up. The enzymes need time to do their work.
You may have to do it more than once.

o

I'd go to a carwash and have the interior cleaned. After that, time, fresh air and sunshine are the best things. I once left a tray of shrimps on the floor of my car, another time spilled a gallon of milk. Time,air, sun.

o

The insurance company is going to put out about $2000 to have the carpets replaced and the underlying metal floor cleaned and disinfected. All this for a $50 deductible. I can tell you,though, rotting ground turkey is pretty putrid smelling.

Thanks for the suggestions...

o

Wow, I didn't know the insurance company would pay for something like that. Lucky you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here