Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing blood stain from vintage quilt.

Posted by pump_toad (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 12:14

I am trying to determine if I should try to remove a stain from a old quilt that looks like a blood stain or if I should just leave it.Actually, its more like a comforter and is only on the backing so does not show on the front but it certainly does not add to the charm of this neat old piece.
Someone told they have used lemon juice and salt.Has anyone used this method or have a better suggestion. I just want to clean the spot and not the whole quilt.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing blood stain from vintage quilt.

Your success depends on the material from which it is made and the strength of the fiber. If it is a really valuable quilt, you may want to contact a museum's costume restoration dept. to see what is safe to use.

o

I agree....
Any method I know of for safely removing a blood stain involves soaking the piece in something...Orvis....hydrogen peroxide....cold water....or an oxygen bleach.
I know of no spot cleaner.
Linda C

o

Thanks for your replies.After looking at the fabric closly I have decided I had better just leave it.It is not torn or anything but looks very old and fragile so it probably would not last if I it had to soak it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here