Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaisermust

Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?

kaisermust
13 years ago

My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of a better word) anymore. I'm talking about the BONA mop which you can load on the 28.75 oz. bottle of their floor cleaner directly onto the mop instead of using just a mop and a handheld spray bottle. My spray trigger mechanism in the mop hardly sprays anymore--to be precise, I get one good spray out of it and then the mechanism doesn't come back up right away so I can do another spray. I have to wait several seconds til the mechanism, or whatever makes it spray, comes back up to its correct position to allow me to do a good spray again. This is so annoying--it takes forever to clean my floor this way. I have gone back to the handheld spray bottle with cleaner but this is not why I bought this mop. I only clean my floor on average about once a month and the mop is a couple of years old but its certainly not from overuse of the trigger mechanism. Has anyone else had this problem with their BONA mop? I know it didn't cost hundreds of dollars but I certainly expected it to last a couple of years of regular heavy use, not the average use I give mine.

Comments (105)

• HU-911372310
    5 years ago

This is my second Bona, I got rid of the first one, I thought I broke it!

Now the same problem with the second one. I think my husband has fixed it. BTW the newer addition, not the Professional version doesn't have a spring. My question is:

BONA are you listening???????

• andrewbaca
    5 years ago

I threw mine away. Never could fix the sprayer problem. I bought an Ocedar. Works great. Why should I spend money on a pricey mop when it won't even work. Not happy with BONA.

• PRO
    Barbara Wood, Keller Williams Milwaukee
    4 years ago

The sprayer arm (which is what your hand pulls when you want Bona fluid to be sprayed on the floor). will not work if the other end of the mop has gotten clogged up. Easy easy to fix. Remove the Bona fluid cartridge as described above by Lou Tiller post. Then sit the lower empty end of the mop inside a sink or tub. Then run very warm or hot water down into the empty cartridge area for several minutes. Or just let the lower/bottom end of the Bona mop (without any cartridge in it) sit in warm/hot water for 5-10 minutes. THEN pull the spray trigger. If it still doesn't work, keep the lower end of the empty Bona mop in the warm water for another 5-10 minutes. Once the clog is dissolved, the spray trigger will work again just fine. Thank you Lou Tiller for describing how to remove the cartridge. Good luck everyone.

• ~Our House~
    4 years ago

Thank you, kimjilljohn! Your suggestion of spraying WD40 worked beautifully...Our Bona mop is spraying just like new. So much better than spraying a floor area with a Bona spray bottle. Kudos to your husband (for figuring this out), and to YOU (for kindly posting the solution).

• eroomgm
    4 years ago

When there are this many comments about problems with a mop, you know the mop is poorly designed. Bona mops are poorly designed.

• p_chamberlain
    4 years ago

Just tried using WD40 as described and my sprayer now works correctly. I'm very happy to have discovered this conversation.

• pattysterle
    4 years ago

Just tried. it - works perfect! WD40, cure all for everything

• rdurocher
    3 years ago

Same thing happened to mine. Just did the WD 40 suggestion and it works better than when it was new,,,

• asolbeck
    3 years ago

Does anyone have problems with the bottle collapsing? I'm kind of thinking that the collapse & the trigger might be related? I shall try the WD 40 to see if it helps.

• sherriashburn
    3 years ago

I was skeptical but the WD40 worked!!!

• HU-615793689
    3 years ago

This is happening to me and I just bought it!!! So frustrating

• HU-454129297
    3 years ago

Plain and simple, this is just a piece of junk, you shouldn't have to fix it right out of the box !

• Sarah Shepherd
    3 years ago

Thank you, been struggling with this problem for an age was just about to bin it and thought I’ll have a google and perfect problem solved. I do agree though, it shouldn’t be a problem in the first place. 🤷‍♀️

• HU-425735580
    3 years ago

The wd40 fix worked like a charm! So happy. Thank you for your help.

• Terry Eichelberger
    3 years ago

After continued maintenance I
    replaced my Bona With a Shark steam mop. I use it on hardwood, laminate and tile floors. Cleans better and sanitizes. The pads are washable.

• HU-78117687324
    3 years ago

My problem is the refill cartridge keeps sucking in. It is a pain to do the butter knife trick to make it pop out again. They say don't let it empty past a point on the cartridge which I mark with tape but still sucks in. Buying new cartridges all the time is too expensive. I have read to click it down firmly but do but they still suck in. any ideas welcome.

• Terry Eichelberger
    3 years ago

Run hot water over the cartridge cap and use a pair of pliers to remove it remember righty tigh tand lefty loose). You can buy concentrated refill by the gallon (Amazon) dilute it and fill the cartridge and return the cap. Saves a lot of money.

• Fran Sneed
    3 years ago

My second one just quit working... Both did the same as yours. I've been trying to be patient, my husband sprayed W40 and that seemed to help for a while. Now it won't work at all. I love the way Bona makes my floor shine. I just HATE this mop that keeps getting stuck & no spray.

• HU-619689274
    2 years ago

This mop is great for laminate floors but I cannot get the bottle out to refill it. The UTube video looks like you just press the button that's three or four inches below where the plastic container can be seen. But nothing happens when I press that button and there isn't any other. There is also no loop at the top of the bottle to pull it out with.

• HU-493500882
    2 years ago

My mob was leaking too, after checking the the plastic screw on top i noticed it was not on straight . i held it against the light turned it left than to the right and voilla it was on straight and no leak.Hope it will help someone.

• Alison Oyler-Mitsch
    2 years ago

My bottle keeps getting stuck down inside even when I press the button I have to forcefully pull it apart and then cleaner goes every where because half of the top gets stuck down inside, have to use pliers to pull the rest of it out. I fill it up and then it doesn't stay locked down so when I spray it I have to hold it in the air and hold the bottle into the sprayer - this is the 3rd one I have owned - I guess I am a dummy because it keeps happening and I keep buying them. I contacted Bona nd they told me to send them a video

• Terry Eichelberger
    2 years ago

I gave up and bought a Shark Steam mop. Cleans all surfaces including hardwood and sanitizes. Mops heads are washable and not that expensive on Amazon.

• Sarah Shepherd
    2 years ago

I fixed mine by not using the sprayer in the mop I use a spray bottle to spray the floor then mop it. Not a solution to the problem but it works for me. I love the cleaning product for my hardwood floor, although the smell on the intense cleaner is rather potent! It keeps my floor clean and doesn’t damage it like steam or wet mopping.

• Rhonda Patterson
    2 years ago

my bona wont spray either. Its a what do you expect for THESE days kind thing.

• Rhonda Patterson
    2 years ago

Its no good face it!

• HU-672161051
    2 years ago

Thank you Barbara Wood! Removing the cleaner and running hot water down into empty cartridge area for several minutes worked. The spray arm will spray now and doesn't get "stuck". Sounds like the WD 40 works well for many but it saved me from having to search for it in my husband's shop!

• Nancy Repoz
    last year

I tried the hot water and the WD-40, but it would always go back to a not-spraying problem. I had read that someone said that the spring would get rusty, but mine looked fine. Then, in one of the posts above, I read that the actual bottle can be the issue. So today, as I was mopping the floor, and it stopped spraying, I leaned over and gently pushed the bottle down - and it started to work, better than ever!!!! I think that the bottle, especially when it's getting low (and older), simply works it's way out. Now I have to figure out a way to keep that bottle down on the sprayer - or maybe just buy a new one. I had to continue to push that bottle down while I was mopping, but once I did, it sprayed like it should. I also store it handle down, so that solution doesn't stay in the sprayer when not in use.

• mosiac1129
    last year

The mop has a 5 year warranty. I’ve contacted Bona numerous times. I also have a refill bottle for both hardwood floors & tile floors. Either the mop stops spraying, the cap on the bottle wont unscrew or the bottle gets stuck inside the mop because the round button on the mop won’t release the bottle. It’s not well made but as long as they continue to replace my mop &/or bottle I’ll keep using it. Their cleaners are excellent. I do buy the gallon refills of hardwood & tile cleaner to fill the mop bottle. They’ve replaced my mop & refill bottle several times at least once a year.

• Alison Oyler-Mitsch
    last year

Its been 11 months since I posted on here gave up on Bona all together!!!! I purchased a fantastic mop on Amazon called Eyliden Spray Mop - 750ml Large Water Tank, Dry Wet Floor Cleaning Mop with 2pcs Microfiber Washable Pads, Wet Jet Flat Mop for Wood Floor Kitchen Hardwood Laminate Ceramic Tiles Cleaning (Brown) $28 bucks and works like a dream!!!!!!

• mosiac1129
    last year

What’s the cleaning solution you fill the water tank with?

• dbcaa
    last year

wow, great that I can comment here, two questions, I run water over the sprayer part from the faucet (without the Bona bottle attached) and it sprays great, I connect the Bona bottle and it will spray great for about 5 times and then just sprays air. Like a number of people have said it is so poorly made! It seems like the Bona bottle pushes itself out and then after four or five good sprays its bad again and seems to need to be pushed back down again.

ALso not quite understand where to spay for wd40, I don't want any of it on the wood floor.

Ahead of time,, thanks for help and suggestions.

• mosiac1129
    last year

They have a very good warranty (5 years) but neither my spray mop or the cartridge make it past 1 year. The newest cartridge will not lock into the bottom of mop mechanism. I’ve had both parts replaced multiple times. Customer service told me this week that THIS is the last time they’ll replace either item for me. I even asked if I purchased an entire new spray mop with bottle will they stand behind that new mop & bottle & they said NO. It’s my address. How about that? I’m was also told there is no good pirate leadership in the US as they’re a Swedish company. Only a call center in CO & a distribution center in MI. I think that’s really a crappy policy.

• HU-948172374
    last year

Yes ive had the same problem with my bona mop and its the 4th mop ive i to exchange total rubbish

• mosiac1129
    last year

I just had my mop & refillable bottle replaced yet again. Customer Service told me I am at my “limit” (5 replacements) per customer address. I was told they will no longer replace any further mops. Period.

• HU-589807665
    last year

Yes same problem so annoying I have bought two mops and have had the same ptoblem with both will not recommend to anyone waste of money

• HU-948172374
    last year

Yes my bono does not work and ive had 4 replacements now totally given up but yet the company Lakeland isist they have not had any issues

• Sarah Shepherd
    last year
    last modified: last year

There are lots of comnents on the Lakeland website about these mops and the trigger spray. Ours stopped working about 2 years ago. We now use a spray bottle filled with the fluid and spray the floor then mop its a bit faffy but works. i read that leaving the cleaning fluid cartridge in the mop causes the trigger mechanism to stop working you should take it out after each use and rinse it all. BUT storing the cartridge full of fluid is very difficult as it won’t stand upside down. Ita great shame because this is a good floor cleaner and leaves floors clean with no residue 🤷‍♀️

• mosiac1129
    last year

Please clarify which part is supposed to get rinsed? Why does the cartridge need to be stored upside down?

• mosiac1129
    last year

What is the Lakeland website?

• Sarah Shepherd
    last year

Lakeland is a shop which sells Bona they have a website. The cartridge leaks if not stored upside down when taken out of the mop. It isn’t suppised to be kept in the mop when not in use. Rinse the bit where the cartridge sits so no cleaning fluid is left in the mop

• mosiac1129
    last year

That’s a great idea. Funny thing, today I went to eject the NEW cartridge out of the NEW mop because it needed to be refilled. When I pulled the bottle out of the mop the cap stayed in the mop & the remaining contents of the bottle went all over the floor. All I could do was laugh as it’s just ridiculous. FYI, you can store the bottle upside down in a bucket. I also use their tile & vinyl floor cartridge so I’ll store them both that way.

• mosiac1129
    last year

Are you saying the opening of the mop should also be rinsed & then spilled out?

• Rhonda Patterson
    last year

Yes. Their crap.

• carly808
    last year

This is my second one and the same thing happened to it, the spring on the mop loses it ability to push the nozzle up to allow the product to spray out!
    People, save your receipt. This will happen or something else, but it seems they send a refund or replace it if your provide the receipt. I’m going to do it now.

• mosiac1129
    last year

They did honor their warranty. Each mop/cartridge barely lasts one year. They replaced it 5 times & said no more. Even if I purchase a new mop at my expense they said they will not send any more replacements to my address. 5 replacements max. I think they really stinks.

• HU-195912349
    last year

Yes started after couple of uses.

• mosiac1129
    last year

Thank you for all the replies & feedback. I’m now “closing” the question.

• Denise Davis
    8 months ago

I’ve had exactly the same problem with my mop! What I would like to know is, if these mops are so good why do they happily exchange parts 5 times. Surely if Bona know of these problems why don’t they explain this before people spend their money OR better still rectify the problem once and for al!!!
    Maybe we should go back to the old reliable mop and bucket ( no airlocks there)

• HU-136783322
    6 months ago

With arthritis in my hands the Bona cartridge is too hard to remove. Why is it so hard? Going to have to find an easier refill mop.

• Tania Sprung
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Hi, I just received my Bona Mop today (27th Nov, 2023). The cartridge would not stay locked in no matter how hard I pressed. After reading your post, I grabbed my screwdriver & separated the front from the back just enough to have a look-see. There is no metal spring in this latest one but there is a plastic kind of spring which was not situated properly. Once I situated it properly & screwed the 3 screws back in, voila!!! The catch now has the proper resistance to come out properly & latch onto the cartridge. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your post!