Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_brown_gw

Dryer Magic Dryer Balls

karen_brown
17 years ago

Hi,

Maybe this is a laundry forum question but decided to give it a shot here.

Has anyone tried the plastic balls that you place in the dryer to soften clothes. These are called "dryer magic dryer balls." They are advertised to work WITHOUT softener. I saw them at simplygoodstuff.com.

I would appreciate any comments on them if you have any knowledge. Thanks

Comments (27)

• karen_brown
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I meant to post this link to the Dryer balls with my above question. At $10.00 I am wondering what these would actually do.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Dryer Balls

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

I find it hard to believe. I would not like the noise. I use white vinegar instead of fabric softener except for fabrics that get static electricty. I use fabric softener on my nylon nightgowns, etc.

And you know, years ago, before such things, no one used anything in the rinse. We just rinsed the clothes well. You really do not need fabric softeners at all.

• drmeow3
    17 years ago

I also use white vinegar instead of fabric softener and then put 3 tennis balls in the dryer. If you don't mind the noise, they work the same way as the dryer balls.

• grainlady_ks
    17 years ago

After reading information on this board, I purchased a pair of the eliptical-shaped dryer balls (which someone mentioned may be better than the round ones), and I was completely sold on them right from the start. They reduced most loads drying time at least 25% and some as much as 50%. The next time I saw a pair of the Magic Dryer Balls (at Target), I bought them so I'd have a pair when the first pair "dies".

I also use vinegar, instead of softener, and found I might need 1/2 a dryer sheet in the winter to keep down static. I could also use the same sheet several times for that purpose. You could also put a tiny bit of Ultra Concentrated Downy in with the vinegar to keep static at bay...

I should do a test using tennis balls and compare it to the dryer balls. I bet the little "fingers" on the dryer balls do "something" that the smooth (wool-covered, I believe) tennis balls don't. But that's just a guess. I'll report my findings when I do laundry tomorrow.

Grainlady

• grainlady_ks
    17 years ago

The Nellie's Dryer Balls dried clothes much faster than the tennis balls. Maybe there IS something to those little "fingers". I used the same load of towels for both and the Nellie's Dryer Ball load beat the tennis balls by a long shot. I also didn't like the "toxic" smell from the tennis balls (they were new).

-Grainlady

• marie26
    17 years ago

Thank you for the update, Grainlady. When I saw these at Target, I thought it was just another junk product. Obviously, I was wrong. Does the packaging say how many loads can you do with the Nellie's Dryer Balls?

• grainlady_ks
    17 years ago

marie26 -

The web site for Nellie's Dryer Balls says they last approximately 1000 loads.

Grainlady

• karen_brown
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to everyone who replied. I tried the white vinegar, sheilajoyce, and it did work fine for me. Grainlady I am going to look for those balls at Target and give them a try. I would like to get away from using the liquid fabric softener because I have had problems every once in a while with spots from it on my whites. My dryer says not to use the sheets because it somehow will damage the moisture sensor by building up a coating on it. So I am glad to know about the vinegar. Thanks again to everyone.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

I have checked at our local Bed, Bath and Beyond. They take coupons, even from other stores, so I had a 20% off coupon of theirs, and the DryerMax package of 2 balls cost me $8.61 including tax. (They take Linen N Things coupons, which I find in the Sunday paper and get in the mail as well, at BBB too.)

You can buy them on Ebay too. Some are BuyItNow and some even have free shipping for about $10 total cost for 2 balls.

So I will be sending some to my daughter, who uses the machines in her building, 3 floors down and away from the noise. She complains that her dryers never get everything dry, so this ought to help. Thanks for the idea, Karen.

• sofia
    17 years ago

Hi

Was surprised to know that I can use vinegar instead of liquid vinegar. How much quantity is good for 1 full load of clothes?

Thanks
    Sofia.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

I just fill the fabric dispenser--probably 1/4 cup.

• lisa77429
    17 years ago

I went to Target for Nellie's Dryer Balls and only found the other "as seen on tv" brand and bought them. Any difference?

One funny though - my son thought they were new balls for the dogs..... GRRRR. I salvaged them timely LOL.

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

You guys talked me into it - just ordered Nellies Balls off the auction for 10 bucks plus 3 shipping.

• lisa77429
    17 years ago

Update on my dryer (doggy balls)....

Every time I open my dryer, the dog runs into the utility room and just stands there - staring at HIS balls. LOL. I bet he is so confused on why he can't have his balls back. Poor dog :(

• marie26
    17 years ago

Are the As seen of TV dryer balls the same as Nellie's? I purchased these and am not sure yet if they make a difference. I did notice that I had static cling even though I had used a little bit of vinegar in the washer.

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

Are these things noisey ? bang ... bang ... clank clank

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

Vinegar will not take out static cling. It removes soap residue. Use fabric softener for static cling.

• bluejeans4ever
    17 years ago

I've been using these dryer balls for over a year now. I really like them and think they are worth it.

I don't know if the clothes dry faster, but the are less wrinkled and no static. Works especially great on towels as they do not get that stiffness that comes when you don't use fabric softener.

Another strike against fabric softener is that it is flammable - not good for kid's clothing especially.

I do use fabric softener on the bed sheets, though, because I love the smell.

The dryer balls are most cost effective in the long run.

BJ

• bluejeans4ever
    17 years ago

Oh! I forgot to mention that they are not noisy at all!

BJ

• marie26
    17 years ago

BJ, when I used vinegar and no fabric softener, I had static cling. Did the vinegar cause this? Should I not use any vinegar or fabric softener when using the dryer balls?

• ycmom
    17 years ago

I have been using dryer balls for two years. I use 4 in my oversized dryer. Beware, they get caught up in the wrists of sweatshirts and also in the corners of fitted sheets. Sometimes, 1 or 2 go missing for a week or so but someone always finds them. I would highly recommend them. Also no noise involved. I was told they tumble in and amongst the clothing so the clothing is separated and hence dries more quickly.

• bluejeans4ever
    17 years ago

Marie26 - try skipping the vinegar and see what happens. I seem to get more static cling in the winter and sometimes just throw in a dyer sheet.

It might be my imagination, but I think that the clothes seem cleaner when I stopped using fabric softener. I read somewhere that fabric softener (and too much laundry detergent) actually locks the stains IN the clothing. If you get that scrunchy feeling when you take the clothes out of the washer, that's an indicator of too much detergent or fabric softener.

Vinegar is good for releasing stains as it is an mild acid - 5% acid, as a matter of fact.

Now, I've used vinegar and think it's great but my Mother once told me that vinegar is not good for the mechanical part of washer as it tends to rust some of the parts. I don't know if this is true on the new washers (she's passed on now, so I can't ask her) but it kind of scared me and I've backed off on the vinegar and only use it occassionaly.

BJ

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

I got Nellies Balls today .. One two person wide bed sheet,, whatever that's called, double/twin whatever, pillow cases and one towel... Towel came out very soft and probably extra fluffy. Sheets shure feel smoother.

Maybe they really do work.

Cant really say if they save power or not as I just use the auto sensor thing to almost dry stuff,, then when I need or remember finish with another quicker auto dry cycle. Maybe someday when Im in a hurry I'll count the bangs with an without them next time... no that wont work,, hmmm.
    Bang, Clank, Clank ,,, yea they make some noise but I'm not a dryer over stuffer very often.

Hope they dont take my shirt buttons off tonight,,, I should wash shirts.

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

I'm sold! I'll look for them next time I go to Target. Fabric softener reduces absorbency (especially when used all the time and builds up, so they would be good on towels, dishtowels and socks and underwear.) I learned about the reduced absorbancy many years ago while washing diapers. And I can tell the difference when I go to MIL's where she uses FS in every load. Her dish towels just move water around instead of absorbing it. Sandy

• kathie31
    17 years ago

I have the dryer balls... got them at Walmart for $9.87 or something like that...

I have to agree that they do shorten the drying time... it's wonderful.

• sofia
    17 years ago

Hi.

Got the dryer balls yesterday. By mistake, DH put it in the washer where I had the rinse only option selected. I still used them in the dryer, but didn't see any significant difference in the drying time or the softness of towels and sheets.

Did I ruin my dryer balls????

Sofia.

• maltesepups_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

How much vinegar should I put in the washer? I have not used fabric softener in years due to my daughters allergies.