Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reyetwinger

Vinyl wicker smell

reyetwinger
9 years ago

Hi. I purchased 8 pieces of second hand wicker furniture. It is the type made from vinyl. After setting it up in my home I have found it emits a overwhelmingly strong odor, smells sort of like carpet fresh. Thinking it must be the cushions I purchased all new ones at great expense. I have febrezed it, hosed it down and left it in the sun for a day and it still smells. I am into this for $3500 so I don't want to throw it away, but I also don't want it to ruin my house. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• emma
    9 years ago

Wow, I could furnish my entire home with that kind of money. Can't you tell which stinks by sniffing the cushions? If it is the cushions take them back to the store.

• reyetwinger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just moved into a new area and I bought this stuff from a neighbor. I originally thought it had to be the cushions so I bought brand new ones. The cushions definitely did smell but I have found that the actual vinyl wicker has this odor in it too. Their house smelled of this also, but I thought it was whatever they used to vacuum with. I threw out the old cushions so now I'm stuck with this stuff. It's sitting out in the driveway at the moment, as I won't bring it back in unless the smell subsides. I have a feeling it's permanent.....if so it's a financial disaster.

• emma
    9 years ago

Sorry about that. Hope the smell goes away.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I'm not sure this is going to work, but you could try washing it, hosing it down, and then letting it dry. I would get some liquid Mr. Clean, mix it with water, sponge it onto the furniture and then rinse.

• reyetwinger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First thing I did was soak it all down with zero perfume Febreze and let it dry in the sun. The next thing I tried was washing it off with antibacterial dish soap and water. I then hosed it all down and let it sit in the sun again. This smell just seems to radiate off of the furniture. If I leave it in a room the room will smell. I don't understand how vinyl can take on this odor. I could understand a natural product but I'm stumped as to how a synthetic material could take it on. My only hope is if I leave it bake in the sun for a few weeks maybe it will go away.....I don't have high hopes though. Even after removing it from the house I can still smell it in the room where it was 2 days later. I don't get it.

• emma
    9 years ago

If the smell in the room doesn't go away try putting a couple of bowls of vinegar in the room. That works for cigarette smoke.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

It may be that the vinyl didn't take on an odor; the odor may be coming from the vinyl itself. New vinyl outgasses for a while when it is new, but normally the odor goes away.

Regardless, the only other option I can think of would be to paint the pieces with a sealing primer like Bin and then paint them. I don't know whether BIN would stick to vinyl, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: BIN

• peabody1
    9 years ago

I have asthma and cannot take smells. Here is what I use and it has worked wonders for the things I have used it for. It is called ZorbX. You can purchase it at Lowes. You can try spraying the furniture or wiping it down with the product. If you have additional questions, you could contact ZorbX. Their website is: Zorbx.com

• reyetwinger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I'll look into ZorbX. The vinyl has definitely taken on the odor. I was at the store that sells this same exact furniture and it was on display.....no odor. All parts of the furniture, regardless of material stink with a sweet minty odor. Even the elastic supports under the cushions reek of the same thing. At first whiff it doesn't seem offensive, but after it permeates everything in it's vicinity it starts to feel toxic.

• reyetwinger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought I would let anyone interested know how things turned out. It seems that leaving the furniture out in the sun and rain for 1 month finally got the smell out. It took the whole month, as a week or 2 ago I could still detect it. Thanks