Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural cleaners for smoke and cat

Posted by Evy1954 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 10:46

We have bought an use doublewide and the previous owner had male cats and she also smoked. We are removing all carpet and paddings, but I am searching for all natural homemade cleaners that I can use on the walls and floors before we paint the walls and lay new carpet. Any suggestions on what we could use? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank You for your time and suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural cleaners for smoke and cat

I would get advice from a paint store. I am sure they have heard many stories like that and will know what to do. I would think just covering it with a paint would work, but I have never been face with that kind of problem. Check the sub flooring for stains and smell. If the problem lingers after you are finished, try sitting bowls of vinegar in each room, a couple in a large room.

o

Good for you, ripping out the rugs! Suggest you strip down every surface, then paint over with "Kilz" paint, oil base formula. It will seal off the surface and the odors will be gone. I promise.

o

For this one-time massive job, I would re-think the idea of trying to come up with an all-natural homemade cleaner. Personally, I would get a bottle of Mr. Clean for bucket cleaning and a bottle of 409 spray for smaller areas.

It's hard to define homemade. Vinegar is a good cleaner, but is it homemade if you aren't making the vinegar from your own grapes?

But to answer your question, there are plenty of sites on the internet that will give suggestions for homemade cleaners, such as this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth Easy

o

Thanks for the suggestions and the Earth Easy link. I will utilize the vinegar (without making my own from grapes as I would end up eating them before making my own vinegar), and the oil base paint for sure!

o

I dont think there are any home made remedies for smoke or cat spray, I agree with jannie, spend the $ and buy a can of KILZ it will be worth it, I've used it and it really does work..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here