Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cearab_gw

Greased Lightening does it again

cearab
15 years ago

While searching through my closet for a summer handbag, I came upon one that I haven't used in 2 years. It's a beige linen with black patent strapping Kate Spade (knock-off) bag that I really liked. You know, the kind of bag that goes with everything.Unfortunately, I had sat it in something that left a huge stain that pretty much covered the bottom of the bag and spread up onto the side. The stain on the side was at least 3"x4", and very noticeable. I was just going to toss the bag since it was ruined, but decided to throw it in the washing machine and see what happened. What the heck, it couldn't possibly look any worse than it did. So, I soaked the stain bottom and side, with Greased Lightening, waited a few minutes, then washed it with a mild detergent on the gentle cycle. (I removed the hand straps since they could be unbuckled)

When the cycle was done, I took the bag out and let it dry completely. The stain is completely gone!

I can't believe it; the bag looks practically new. Greased Lightening really outdoes any other cleaner for stain removal, imo.

Comments (7)

• arizonarose
    15 years ago

Great!! Good to hear it saved your purse!

I agree, Greased Lightening is the best. I use it all the time now as a pre treatment for spots and stains in the laundry.

• fishers2008
    15 years ago

Ok - so I went out and bought this stuff based on everyone's reaction to it. I gathered up my clothes that had stains, sprayed them and threw them in the wash. Not one stain came out. To be fair the stains were older (2 wks- have been washed but not dried) and I didn't let the stuff sit on it for very long before starting the washer. Did I do something wrong? I've been longing for a good stain remover, thought I had it but it failed me!! Please help!

Lori

• arizonarose
    15 years ago

The only thing I can figure is the stains were set in. I uusally spray the stain before it is washed. Soak it down good and rub the greased lightening in. I've even let things set for a day or so w/the spray on them. I've had pretty good luck with stain removal. In fact, I haven't run into anything that I haven't been able to get out...including pizza sauce and red kool aid.

• cearab
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The one stain that is always difficult is anything grease or oil based. You may need to clean the item again, or een more than that. I just bought a new cotton knit top and spilled some salad dressing on it. I sprayed it with Greased Lightening, and washed it. The faint outline of the grease mark is still there, so I plan on soaking it again and then another wash. For really tough grease stains, I sometimes use the Greased Lightening and some Dawn dishwashing liquid as well.
    I have only had a few stains that Greased Lightening did not remove. I have tried every other pre-launder stain treatment out there and nothing has worked as well as Greased Lightening thus far. I also agree with arizonarose, let it soak for a while, or even overnight.
    Good luck and let us know how you fare.

• fishers2008
    15 years ago

Thanks! I have some items soaking now and will wash them again in the morning. I'm not giving up on it yet!!

Lori

• eleanorblack_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I take Greased Lightening is purchased in the USA...never heard of it. However, I use the original Windex on blood & nothing can beat it. Even some not all stains that have set come out. I have taken cranberry sauce out of a tablecloth that had set for 5 hours. When I sprayed it, it turned blue. I sprayed it again & left it 10 minutes. It came out. I have got grape juice out as well. The best part is when it's held up to the light, you can not find where the stain was. I've got other stains out as well, but not all. I am so sold on Windex I keep a bottle in my Laundry room. This has nothing to do with Greased Lightening....but I feel it is a great helpful hint!

• jannie
    12 years ago

Thjere's only one store near me that currently sells Greased Lightening. (It's a hardware store). I use it frequently for pre-treating laundry stains. over the years, I've had a few clothing stains that refused to come oyut. I took them to the dry-cleaner. He told me the "worst" thing you can do with any fabric stain is dry the item in a dryer on "hot" as that really sets the stain in, literally cooks it. But my dry cleaner can often remove stains I can't get out. Try a local dry cleaner, tell them what caused the stain (blood,ketchup, grape juice,wine, whatever). They have access to chemicals we regular mortals cannot get. Good luck!