Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unplugged freezer

Posted by bspofford (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 10:06

A friend has a chest freezer that was unplugged so the plug could be used by a worker, then not plugged back in. It sat for a month out in the garage....

The contents have been removed and she has tried to clean it with bleach, baking soda, and prayer. Still stinks to high heaven.

Is there any way to salvage the freezer?

Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unplugged freezer

Clean it with bleach, leave the lid open for at least 24 hours. This has happened to me. My kids left my chest freezer open, nobody noticed till days later.

o

Second time in as many weeks I have come across unplugged freezer stories. One would thing that the electronics people know about an inexpensive warning device. I think I will ask around.

If you live where there is significant sunlight you might try moving it into the sunlight while attempting more ordinary cleaning methods.

o

Not sure if this will work in a freezer but it works great in rooms. Put a bowl of vinegar in the freezer, close the lid and leave it for at least a few hours. Vinegar absorbs odors. I do it regularly in the bathrooms, and sometimes in my teenage son's room. I also put some in the car to absorb smoke odor.

o

This will only help preventing future cleaning problems with unplugged freezers. The people on Gardenweb's Electronics Forum say that there are so called indoor/outdoor thermometers which have warnings features and can be purchased quite inexpensively.

o

Cold kills the odor, and time kills the smelly source.
Wash it well,, plug it in smelly or not. You wont smell it once it cools down and over time the source of the smell that you cant clean which is in the insulation areas will go away.

BTDT .. been there done that!

o

A mover suggested to my friend that she put a sock filled with fresh coffee grounds in the freezer and frige as they moved across country to prevent the smell.

o

This happened to me a few years ago. I went to my local pet shop and bought activated charchoal. l and used the coffee as well I just dumped it on cheap paper plates and in 3 days there was no smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here