Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Clean Sub Floor

Posted by smb2003 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 9:54

I purchased a home and am replacing the carpet. I removed the carpet and padding, and it seems the owner had a cat that liked to pee on the carpet. I'd like to freshen up the sub floor with Pinesol, but I'm not sure how to apply it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I wanted to mop, but there are some nails and whatnot and I think its just going to shred the mop. I want to avoid doing it on hands and knees if at all possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Clean Sub Floor

I'd hammer in all those nails and prehaps add some screws. Loose nails in a subfloor will cause squeeks and when the flooring's off is the time ward them off.

You can use an old t-shirt over your broom to wash it. Put the shirt over the broom so the tail is down and the neck is on top. If the neck is too big for the broom then pin it with a safety pin. When you wet it wet it just until the broom bristles so they don't get too wet. You only want the tail of the t-shirt wet. Put the tail out on the floor as far as you can reach, and pull it towards you.

o

If the subfloor has urine soaked into it, find one of the cleaners meant for de-stinking urine stains and apply it.

Then let the stuff air-dry before you do the new carpet.

o

Target sells some stuff called "Kids And Pets" (or "Kids & Pets" not sure) that has worked great for me for potty training accidents on carpets and carseats. It actually does get rid of the smell and it's very convenient in that it doesn't require rinsing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here