Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help washing a dark cotton top with white embroidery

Posted by alicewave (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 9:44

Hi there, this is my first post in a while but I'm a big lurker. Anyway, I have a beautiful navy cotton top with lots of white embroidery. I haven't washed it yet but I am worried that when I do the navy dye will stain the white embroidery and it wont look as nice. The label says wash cold delicate cycle but I have experienced dye transfer even in cold cycles, although not since I got my LG front loader but I haven't really tried anything like this in it. Any tips to prevent this or should I just send it to a dry cleaner, or perhaps use dryel? The shirt will not be the same if the white is not white, if you know what I mean. :(

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help washing a dark cotton top with white embroidery

I would use cold water with about a cup of salt....to set the dye if possible....and I would include one of those
dye catcher cloths. I forget what they are called but they grab ambient dye in the wash and rinse water/
And be sure to get it right out of the washer and into the dryer or on the line immediatly after the last spin.
It says washable....so I would wash it and scream to the store if it runs!
Linda C

o

Embroidery should be done with a polyester thread so it won't hold color if the shirt bleeds. I would do as the tag says.

o

Polyester...ie dacron, is the worst material for grabbing and holding coloir. It's one of the reasons why so many items that are "blends" get dingy looking.
Linda C

o

Thanks for all the responses. I tried the salt with the color catcher, and then right into the dryer and it came out beautifully! I've had the dye transfer happen to other garments and now I can prevent it. Thanks!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here