Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone help me identify this?

Posted by dragonfly_wings (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 9:28

I'm hoping that others have run across this while cleaning and can help me to identify it.

It is a kind of web embedded with what looks like wood dust particles. It's located along the wood frame to my brick fireplace. I can wipe it away, no problem. In fact I've done that before, but it eventually shows up again.

But what is causing it? I don't see any insects in or around it. Is it a sign of termites or wood ants or what?

What is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone help me identify this?

How old is your house?

o

This house was built in the 80's, so it's around 25-30 years old.

o

You have carpenter ants which need immediate attention if you want to minimize the damage to your home. Do not try to handle this yourself. Call in a professional who specializes in dealing with carpenter ants. If you try to handle it yourself, chances are you will not be successful and all you will do is make it more difficult for the professionals when you do eventually call them in. This would be a case of throwing away a dollar to save a penny. It may cost a few to have the pros in, but in the long run, it will be the cheaper and safer option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here