Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing red wine stains

Posted by cearab (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 8:46

I'm not usually a red wine drinker, but I had a glass last night and accidently spilled a decent amount on a cotton knit blouse. I soaked it overnight with some Dawn, and the stain is lighter, but still quite large. Since I've never spilled red wine before, I'm not sure what the proper cleaning method is. I searched the forum and nothing came up. If you have some suggestions, they would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing red wine stains

hydrogen peroxide will take it out. If you don't have any, use Windex. Spray, blot, repeat, until the stain is gone. Then wash normally.

o

I usually soak my red wine spills in 1 cup of Cascade electric dishwasher detergent and 1 cup of laundry detergent in the lowest setting of hot water in the machine overnight. Run the load in the morning. once usually takes it out. If you must use cold water, give it a try, but be sure to dissolve the soaps in the water well before turning off the machine to soak the blouse overnight. Don't put it in the dryer till you have all the stain out.

o

My mother's mantra for cleaning fruit juice stains (including wine) was "boiling water, poured from a height." I can remember one of the post-holiday meal rituals was checking the white lace tablecloth for wine stains, and if there were we would fill the tea kettle, boil water, hold the affected area of the tablecloth over the sink and pour the boiling water through the fabric. It's best to do this when the stain is fresh. It works.

o

I've had good luck with Woolite carpet cleaning foam on clothing stained with red wine, spaghetti sauce, other red stains. But I've been told for blood the cleaning solution must be cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here