Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arizonarose_gw

auto dishwashing detergent

arizonarose
15 years ago

Which do you prefer, the powder or the liquid for your dishwasher? What brand and why? I'm wondering if the powder scratches the glasses. I've been using Cascade powder for months since I bought a HUGE box at Big Lots. Haven't noticed any scratches but just curious what most people prefer.

Comments (12)

• calirose
    15 years ago

we use cascade powder also. We just bought a new dishwasher and how I wish I had paid to have the old one fixed. However, that is beside the issue.

Be sure to use the jet dry.

Also, don't prewash dishes just before running the d/w. The detergent has enzymes that react to dirt and if the dishes are clean, the detergent doesn't react properly. (per the dishwasher rep who is installing a new panel on our new dishwasher.) We only use d/w every few days. So we rinse well those which sit; and don't rinse those put in just before running the d/w.

• jannie
    15 years ago

A sears serviceman was at my house last week, to service my broken Sears Kenmore dishwasher. He said it is best to "scrape" plates before loading in DW. Not rinse, but scrape first.

• cearab
    15 years ago

I used to subscribe to Consumers Report and a few years ago they rated Electrosol Dual Action tablets the highest. I had been using either liquid or powder Cascade, along with Jet Dry. Since I switched, the dishes are much cleaner, and I don't need to use the jet Dry anymore. I think the Electrosol tabs work much better.

• ebear1271
    15 years ago

I'm partial to Earth Friendly Products powder detergent. It's a natural cleaner which means no phosphates and no bleach. I always preferred liquid to powder until we had a problem with leaking in our last dishwasher. It only happened sometimes but it was enough to call a serviceman. He said to use powder, not liquid, because the liquid could cause the leaking. I can't remember why, but since I switched I haven't had a problem.
    I was surprised to see that Consumer Reports rated Electrosol so highly. I tried it a long time ago and it left a "film" on the dishes. It was almost like stuck on mashed potatoes. I thought my dishwasher had finally given out until I switched detergents and the problem stopped.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Someone above mentioned Consumer Report. I have seen a recent article by someone who claims that a recent Consumer Report, or someone of their ilk, recommended WalMarts cheapest powder.

• LibbyLiz
    15 years ago

I've seen a few times where Consumer Reports mentioned Costco brand & that it rivals Cascade.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

I am a Consumer Reports magazine subscriber and on their website. One of their "best buys" is Costco's Kirkland brand powder. Libbyliz is right, it rivals Cascade and is cheaper per load.

Liquids are not recommended, they don't do as good a job and tend to gunk up the machine.

• arizonarose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It sounds like the powder brand is the way to go. We don't have a Costco near here so I think I'll just stick with the Cascade. It does a good job. With soft water a little goes a long way when it comes to detergents and soaps.

Thanks everyone, for the feedback!

• pinkcarnation
    15 years ago

The Electrosol tabs with Jet Dry work great. I am very pleased with how they clean as well as the ease of use.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I use the Electrasol three in one tabs. I'm a sucker and I also use Jet Dry rinse aid.

• cynic
    15 years ago

The CR reports that have been quoted in the appliance forum usually rates Cascade as best, often (Walmart's) Great Value brand, then Cascade liquid (with enzymes) then Kirkland, then various other Cascade and Electrosol (which is now "Finish"). But that's if you put a lot of store in what CR says, which I don't. I figure they're all comparable. When push comes to shove (or wash comes to dry) they're all very similar in manufacture. There's not that much difference in soap. Each will vary in the machine, water, temperatures and other variables. It is generally agreed however that enzymes work better. But it is important to have something for them to work on or they may etch.

Also, powders generally more abrasive than liquids so if you're using it for crystal or sensitive fine china (which probably should be hand washed anyway) then you may want to avoid the powders.

Rinse agents are important for some people's expectations.

And also you should always scrape the bone, and big chunks off the dishes. Rinsing is a waste. If you're going to rinse everything, why not just handwash? Seems silly to me.

FWIW, Target's brand (with enzymes) has been given good reviews by users too.

I've used Great Value and SunSations as a detergent booster for a long time now. Works great and far cheaper. Actually, SunSations is cheaper than the Great Value brand. For my use it works fine but I don't have a dishwasher so I can't speak to results there.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

I used to use Cascade, and it is really good. But then my local warehouse store, BJ's, put the Electrasol 3-in-1 tabs on sale BOGO free. I couldn't pass up that offer and found that they're as good as Cascade - and I love it that the Jet-Dry is already in them. Since that time, BJ's consistently puts them on sale every few months, just as I'm running out. I noticed on the Electrasol container that top manufacturers of dishwashers rate it #1.