Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soap Scum/Film On Glass Shower Doors

Posted by lovejoy (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 3:05

Hi there, we have slacked off on using the squeegee on our 1 yr old glass shower doors and now we have a film that appears to be soap scum that will not come off. The door that is always closer to the shower head will not come clean no matter what we do and the door that is not getting splashed as much looks brand new. I have used CLR, Easy Off Bam, Magic Eraser and scrubbed with comet to no avail. The door is clean but in the light it's not as sparkly as the other one and has a spotty film on it. We live in Florida so maybe it is something in the water. I know this is our fault but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to make my scummy door look like new. Thank you in advance for your help.

Joy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soap Scum/Film On Glass Shower Doors

I've had a problem cleaning soap scum off my acrylic tub and surround, and the best product I've found is called Zap! I ordered mine online and don't know whether or not it's sold in stores. It's called a professional cleaner for porcelain, fiberglass, tile and grout.

Others on this forum have convinced me that most of the scum problem in tubs and showers is caused by using bar soap, which has a stabilizer that sticks to the tub or surround. I've just started using a body wash instead of bar soap but haven't got enough of a history with it to say if it's true.

o

Corn Starch mixed with water to form a paste, rub on door, gently scrub, then use a clean damp rag to wipe off the paste and then a third clean rag to "polish" --- works very well on glass, mirrors etc.

kanders

o

A few suggestions:

soft scrub (non bleach type)

dawn original

cascade (liquid/jel) works great for removing water spots
~as it does for your dishes~

vinegar also works great
(wear a mask, the fumes will kill ya)

hopes this helps !

o

Have you tried scraping it with a razor knife to see if there really is a scum on the glass?

o

Fabric softener sheets! Get them wet and wipe the doors with them. Not sure why this works, but it does :)

o

I'm sure someone will say this is a bad thing to do, but I have used very light pressure with a new SOS pad on a glass shower door with a bad film buildup. I didn't see any scratching, but was carefull to not rub hard. You might do a test on a tiny area first.

o

Probably another bad suggestion, but...

I tried CLR for many things in past. My brother bot a big thing of it, so I tried it. I don't know what the hype is about it, as everything I tried it on did NOT work!

I've also tried the cleanser, window cleaners, etc.

So many peeps talk about fab soft sheets. I have not tried that yet. (but intend to)

Best thing I've found = good ol' "Lime-Away".

I'm sure it must be caustic - just as bleach, ammonia (have you tried ammonia yet?), S.O.S., cleansers, etc.

Since your shower doors are still "new", I don't know. Is there any chance of contacting the mfg of these to find out how to clean?

I lived in a rental once & tried EVERYTHING to clean the tiles on floor/walls of shower to no avail. I went into a "Tile Store" to ask about products to clean tiles. THEY COULDN'T TELL ME! They didn't know! (I learned a lesson that day - don't buy anything until you know all details of maintenance FIRST- lol!)

A few years later, we lived in another rental with a jacuzzi out back (drained and dirty). I found some "Foamy Lime-away" at the local thrift/drug store. Spent about $20 bucks on that stuff, and it cleaned up nicely when all else failed.
(Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target...NONE of those places carried the "Foamy Lime-Away" - only place I could find it was at the "Thrifty Drug Store" - and they are gone now! I know the product was there, I just don't know where to find it today. Haven't looked for it in recent years.)

Even if you choose to use it, the orig "Lime-Away" should work. It's like water - so you have to start at top - spray some on and be ready to "catch" the "run-down" streaks. Work in sections from top to bottom.

WARNING: Whatever you use - make sure you have plenty ventilation, and do NOT use ammonia/bleach products together! IS FATAL!

Interesting, I had forgotten about the corn starch for cleaning - worth a try!

(Also, once you get it clean - have you considered using some sort of "glass wax"? Like one may use on auto windows??)

I don't know if I was of any help, but thot I'd put my 2 cents in...

o

I used cornstarch following the suggestion from kanders, and was quite pleased with the results. I like the fact that cornstarch is non-toxic (we eat it!)and cheap--I will definitely continue to use this method on my shower doors! Does anyone know enough about chemistry to know why it is effective?

o

Hi all, thanks for all your help. I have spent the last few days trying to clean this film off my doors to no avail. I tried CLR, Kaboom, Easy Off Bam, Comet, Corn Starch, Tilex, Vinegar and the list goes on! Nothing worked, film did not even budge. I finally called Kohler and complained and they are sending me 2 new doors for no charge! They had great customer service, I only wished I would have called before I spent all that time scrubbing!

Joy

o

Try dryer sheets, dampened and rub with regular bar soap. This will clean the doors and not scratch as there are no abrasives. PS the wetter the better for this.

o

I like Glass Wax. Hope's Perfect Glass is another good product.

o

I've had grest success on my clear glass shower doors with a Don Aslett product called "Once Over Hard Water Remover". I apply with a tub/shower sponge with the white stuff on one side/sponge on the other, and it works great. It also was the only thing we could find to clean irrigation-water splashes on our son's newly purchased (old home) windows. Nothing else would touch the build-up. It takes a bit of time, but the results are well worth it!
Hope this helps anyone else out there who may still have this problem.

o

Louise 54, where do you get the "Once Over Hard Water Remover."? I would love to give it a try.
Thanks, Jeanie

o

I tried cheap, dollar store shampoo on the scum on the shower floor. Let it sit overnight, then just lightly scrubbed it away next moring while I was in the shower - a real time-saver. I haven't tried it for the doors, but it should work.

o

Mr. Clean Erasers

o

Lovejoy -

What did Kohler tell you to use when they replaced the doors? I had a similar experience and was told never to use TILEX or anything with amonia. (No Windex!) The Tilex I used had permanantly etched the glass. They recommended Comet heavy duty bathroom spray for shower doors but it has been discontinued. Comet recommended CINCH.

o

Before you order new shower doors the next time, try using a scour powder called Bar Keepers Friend, I used it on my Kohler doors that had glazing on them as decoration, and it worked without even damaging the glaze designs!

o

BarKeeper's Friend or Zud are powdered cleansers that remove mineral buildup, scum and rust. Proceed with caution when using harsh cleaners on shower doors, as many can damage anodized aluminum finish on door frame. Baking soda and water paste is an economical and effective way to remove soap scum. Hard water minerals over time will permanently etch shower door glass and this can not be removed with a cleaner. To minimize cleaning problems wax shower door to provide sheeting action. Wipe shower and door with squeegie or chamois after using to prevent mineral and scum buildup and to minimize mildew problems. A daily shower mist product is often effective, but is not intended to be a substitute for the weekly tub/shower cleaning.

o

Hi folks. Interesting reading here. I see what to do after getting hard water stains, but I am getting a new house and want to know how to prevent this problem entirely. This will be the first time for me to have these doors and unsure how to care for them. I thought about using a squeegie and then spray on the daily shower spray followed by a weekly cleaning with a foaming bathroom (Dow etc). Should the squeegie and then daily spray stuff work? Thanks.

o

Lovejoy... congrats on getting two free doors. I hope that something on this forum works for you ... you can't get new doors every time that they get dirty. Nice to know there is still good customer service in the world. Toowide, make sure that before you take your first shower, you apply glass wax.

o

We had a lime and soap scum build up when we bought the house. I used Comet for years but more recently I found the Clean Shower product works. After I shower I spray it with CS and just let it sit. If you have a build up, you should spray it normally for a few weeks and then go in and scrub it lightly with a kitchen scrubbie (not steel wool).

Clean Shower has alcohol and soap in it. Calcium eventually dissolves in alcohol.

o

thile44, thank you so much!

I tried thile's method: rubbing the glass door with a sheet of wet Bounce. Amazing! It only took minutes to get rid of years of build up. Of course, we know not to use bar soap ever again.

o

Of course, we know not to use bar soap ever again.

au contraire (or some such spelling). I've used Zest soap for 35 years. Every time I try Dial, scum city. Zest is a great bar soap even in hard water.

o

Thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. Totally in agreement with Twelvepole...."Baking soda and water paste is an economical and effective way to remove soap scum."
After my shower (while the glass walls are still wet) I put baking soda on a wet sponge and wipe the walls (about once a week). Scum gone! Rinse with clean water and squeegee. Real easy and enviromentally friendly.

o

I use DW40 spray it on and polish with a soft cloth, it works for me.

o

One of the most powerful cleaners I have encountered is Awesome Cleaner. It's a simple, inexpensive Dollar Store item. My aunt told me about it, and I didn't really believe her. But it cuts through grease and grime with very little elbow grease. And it doesn't smell toxic like so many bathroom cleansers. Spray it on, wait a few minutes, and sponge off. It's $1.39, and I use the cleaner/de-greaser kind.

o

twelvepole, anyone, How long does it take for hard water to etch glass? I am a tenant of about 10 months and can't get the doors completely clean (tried many things). Would it help to use a glass wax/polisher (since the etchings disappear when wet? Thanks.

o

Hard water does not etch glass. On rare occasions overly soft water can etch glass. And if you clean the hard water deposits with strong acids like CLR, the acid can etch the glass. I think you just have deposits. Have you read and tried all the suggestions above? Some if not all, of them work. It could be your conditions are just different enough that a couple of them won't work for you but there are a lot that should.

o
Persistent Hard Water Spots

That's a relief. The marks are 8 shaped or like amoebae all over the glass except for the far end where not much water hits. However, I have tried Lime Away, CLR, Bartender's Friend, a shower door foam, and now I am using Target's Shower Cleaner, which says it will clean the doors in two to four weeks, but I can't see any change with any of them, even when I use microcloth for an scrubber. Haven't tried non-abrasive Comet. Exasperated and still open to advice from anyone. But Thanks.

o

I recently tried polishing compound on a small lower corner.

It seems to have worked. I figured if it was safe for auto paint (the older models b4 clear coat), that it should be safe for glass as well. I just checked the can, and it says it can be used on chrome, so I'd think using it on glass would be no different.

I will report back later when I have a chance to do more of it. It may end up with swirl marks, but I don't see that as being any worse than the way it is now.

Sue

o

For those who are wondering why corn starch, dryer sheet/fabric softeners, and why it's so difficult to remove this stuff from the door in the first place:

Cornstarch is a microabrasive powder, mixed with water it's softened just enough to move around safely without scratching and clings (so you dont have to vacuum afterwards). Since its small (hence the micro) it fits into the little imperfections and scratches on the door.

I tried the softener sheet on my parents bathroom shower sheet dry, and it works pretty well. This is because it also abrasive, and the frayed fibers on it also get into the little cracks. The softener itself, some may know, is a mild detergent. This is evident when after scrubbing with it, you have a slimy coating on your hand that smells nice and foams up, leaving your hand shiny cleean and oh-so-soft.

This stuff is so difficult to get off because being a liquid, it can easily flow inot the little scratches and stuff in the glass, which in return acts like a shelf, allowing the watter to stick there. In time this can actually become damaging to the glass, so for personal relief and preventing damage be sure to clean it regularly.

Oh and, bleach, ammonia, vinegar, etc, are all corrosive acids, using these over and over will probably damage your glass, so dont let it linger, and if it doesnt work the first time, try something else. Salt water will also help kill any mold in the area, but use distilled water to mix it, otherwise its kinda pointless to wash hard water stains with hard water...

Email me if you have any questions!

o

I cleaned my acrylic tub with MR Clean Magic Eraser. It is fantastic.
I tried bleach, vinager and nothing better than it.
Hope this helps

o

I use "Tough on Grease" liquid dish soap on tubs and showers. Let it sit for a while then rinse with hot water.

To keep new doors from having an issue, try a goating of liquid car wax.

Goog luck!

SG

o

Hi, didn't have much luck with the various chemicals. In the end resorted to a rotary wire brush on the end of an electric drill - worked a treat.

o

Hi, new to posting on Gardenweb.
I have found my miracle cleaner for glass shower doors and fiberglass shower walls to be "Goo Gone". You do want to be sure and clean the floor afterwards before getting in the shower, as the Goo Gone leaves a slippery film on the floor.

o

After you get it clean, use an old sock with a little baby oil or furniyure polish(pledge) on it an wipe down the glass. It will help take off the water and soap scum the next time you clean.
Look for something that will take off hard water instead of soap scum. That is probably the problem. Comet puts out a powder that doesn't scratch the suface and is what I use around here. We have alot of salt in the water.
Good luck

o

Great suggestions here, thanks! I'm going to try a number of them, such as goo gone, magic erasers & fabric softener sheets. I can only add that to keep glass sparkly in our house (haven't tried on a shower yet) I clean using a single edge razor blade as a "squeegie." I spray with water to keep the glass wet & lubricated, and then go over the whole thing with a very sharp razor blade (changing often). Then dry with a towel and use Sprayway and a miracle cloth. We use liquid soap in shower so don't get much buildup but I would think a razor blade on wet glass would be worth a try.

Katie

o

I've found using dryer sheets dry, not wet, works best on my shower doors. Awesome cleaner left too much soapy residue behind in the pebble type surface of the shower doors, when I used it. I had to rinse, rinse and rerinse. The dry dryer sheets were the most effective for me.

o

*** YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ***

OK, SO I'VE TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING: KABOOM, SHOUT, WATER/VINEGAR MIX, MR. CLEAN ERASER, DRYER SHEET (WHICH LEFT A SMALL SCRATCH IN THE GLASS), ETC... I FINALLY CAME ACROSS A SUGGESTION: MR. CLEAN ERASER + A LITTLE DISHWASHING DETERGENT... I THOUGHT 'WHAT THE HECK' I HAD ALREADY TRIED MR. CLEAN ERASER BY ITSELF, WHY NOT... TRIED IT... IT WAS AWESOME... THIS IS HOW I DID IT...

1. APPLIED A LITTLE BIT OF DISHWASHING DETERGENT TO THE CENTER OF A MR. CLEAN ERASER.
2. APPLIED TO MY GLASS DOORS.
3. USED A WET TOWEL TO WIPE THE SOAP OFF (IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, THE TOWEL WAS WHITE, ALTHOUGH I DON'T THINK THAT MATTERS.)
4. USED ANOTHER TOWEL TO WIPE DRY.

IT LEFT THE DOORS SPARKLING CLEAN! NO SOAP SCUM, NO RESIDUE, NO STREAKS... THEY LOOKED EXACTLY THE WAY THEY DID WHEN WE FIRST INSTALLED THEM.

o

Shalymar - hit the SHIFT LOCK key on your keyboard to turn off the caps.

o

Shalymar what brand of dishwashing detergent did you use?

o

Don Aslett's books on cleaning are great, too - he is a professional cleaner and his tips are amazing. Our library system has all his books available for loan, so I was able to read them without charge.

I'm not sure if he or Heloise (maybe both) recommended this, but I remember reading that it's a good idea to put full-strength vinegar in a spray bottle and spray glass shower doors with it about once a week.

o

We've just moved into a home that is 5 years old. The previous owners must not have known about squeegees because there is a horrible soap scum build up. I've tried many of the methods suggested above to no avail.
I plan to go buy a Mr. Clean Eraser and try it with dishwashing soap today.
I've spent way too many hours addressing this and I'm frustrated and feel it's time to come out of that shower and get a life!

o

I just cleaned my brand new, but soap scummy, glass shower doors with a fabric softener sheet, and was shocked at how well it worked, and how much cleaning that one sheet could do. To keep away future water build up, I have used WD40. Spray it on, and then use a dry cloth to disperse it so the glass looks clear. It resists water for awhile, and makes squeegeeing easier.

o

The best product I have found is called Glass Wax (Glass and metal cleaner). Comes in a thin rectangular can and it is a semi-thin pink liquid with a strong chemical smell. You apply it with a damp sponge, let dry and then wipe off with a soft cloth.

I use it on our frameless shower doors and glass, and all of the chrome. It gets rid of everything, leaves a nice shine and has a water-repellant property as well.

We do not have soap scum (it has been 13 years since the remodel), because we only use liquid soap. Bar soap was banned from the house as soon as our contractor told us not to use it bc it causes soap scum, due to the talc and other ingredients. So at this point, all it is removing is stain and spots from the soap and hard water. (Hubby is not so good about using the squeege).

It does work well on soap scum unless yours is really thick - and needs removal with a razor blade first.

I only need to use this product about 1-2 x per year. In-between that, it's just windex or a microfiber cloth or both.

L

o

OK--I think I have done something wrong with trying to clean soap scum off my glass shower door. I bought a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and had some dishwashing detergent and per some of the recommendations posted here I applied the detergent to the Mr. clean eraser and coated the glass with the detergent. I didn't clean it off right away and when I came back to remove it it left a worse film than what I had. Now I have to find a way to remove dishwasher detergent film/residue from my glass door. Any suggestions?

o

Lots of warm water with some vinegar in it to cut the soap. Also try fabric softener sheets.

o

I've had good luck by rubbing the glass with clean, dry (yes, dry!) steel wool, the finest you can find. I think I used 0000. It won't harm the glass and the scum comes off as a powdery substance.

I heard a tip on the radio -- wet a few paper towels with vinegar, lay them over the area, and cover with plastic wrap. Let it work for awhile, and the scum "should" come off. I tried it on my glass block, and a little came off, but not enough to fuss with the mess.

o

I clean mine with a bathroom cleaner..any, then rub them down with lemon oil. Works for me. Mine doors are not smooth glass. I suppose that could make a diff. They are the hammered glass.

This tip was from a professional cleaner (assuming there is such a thing)

o

I found a product called "Bring it On" on a website called touchoforanges.com. I believe I had read about it on this forum at one time. Anyway, I ordered it and my shower doors look practically new after I cleaned them. This is so pathetic but my girlfriend got a bottle and called me on a Saturday night to tell me she had just used it and was in shock. Her children commented on how the shower looked brand new. Apparently, it was developed by a woman who couldn't find anything to get her shower clean. It really is the best thing I have ever used. Check out the website when you have a minute.

o

Has anyone heard/used CRL Surface protector and can share an opinon?

o

A bottle of CRL Surface protector was given to me by the company that installed my glass shower doors. It's a water, soil and stain repellant. I was told to apply it with a dry cloth and massage it into the glass using a firm circular and overlapping motion until clear. The water from the shower beads up instead of running down the glass. You only need to apply it when the water stops beading. Very easy to apply! I'm due for another application-the water has started to run down the glass. Hope this helps!

o

I'll be honest and say that I have not read through all of the responses on the thread, but I have to say IMO your do not have soap scum on your shower door. Most shower doors (however small your shower might be) are positioned to receive water, but you probably are not splashing soap onto the door. Our home is 14 years old, we're in a hard water area and our shower is quite large (know for a fact that the glass doesn't get soap deposits). We did a bathroom remodel a couple of years ago and replaced the shower doors. The glass door people told me that scouring products/chemicals break down the glass over time and what you see and think is scum is actually deteriorated/etched glass -- you can't fix it. We replaced our door with protected glass; we squeegy after showering and I clean it only with water and a micro cloth.

o

Seeing this thread reminds me of why I'll never have shower doors. So very hard to keep clean. I love being able to change shower curtains when I see one I can't live without. I also love those shower curtain hooks of stainless steel with the rolling beads on them.

I have a nice big window in my bathroom right above my combination tub/shower and I really enjoy having the shower curtain pulled all the way to one side so I can see out the window into my back yard.

I have cross-posted this in a few other threads...

I only use Dove soap for bathing. Does not dry out the skin like so many bar soaps. You know, that stretched-tight feeling when you're squeaky clean, which almost hurts. None of that with Dove. It's so creamy because of the lotion in it. Excellent if you have sensitive skin. It also has a very nice smell, not perfumey.

And a HUGE bonus: it leaves almost NO scum! It will take you months and months to start building up any soap scum.

o

I tried: razor blade, corn starch, dryer sheet, bleach, sos pad, baking soda.... NOTHING WORKED!! I'm thinking Lime a way might work so I will let you know. btw I don't use bar soap. And I've always cleaned it with plain ol glass cleaner. One post said the glass has deteriorated from cleaning products which kind of makes sense but my glass is perfectly clear around the edges - the fogy part is in the middle where the shower water/soap hits it.

o

I have a porcelain enamel tub and shower and after a while, in spite of regular wiping down, it gets a greasy looking film on it. I think it is from the conditioners we use after shampooing. Those are emulsions that contain oils and waxes that melt in the hot water used to rinse our hair and form a film that makes it manageable. I use Bar Keepers Friend to scour it off. It leaves a shiney surface, but does require a lot of elbow-grease to do the job. I think glass that is clear will eventually etch to get so bad looking that it must be replaced. Phosphates and strong caustics are the culprit as well as strong chelating agents that are used in products like CLR, Comet Bathroom Cleaner, and Scrub Free Bathroom cleaner. The Scrub Free used to have a warning on the label when it first came out and was stronger, I believe, than the current version.

o

Just spent three days trying every product claiming to get soap scum off of smooth glass shower doors. Nothing works. Used heavy duty one edged razor blades with some success but will scratch glass. Started thinking about it and found the perfect stuff in my garage. USE PAINT RUBBING COMPOUND. You can find it at any auto parts store. With a little elbow grease it will get every bit of the soap scum off and not scratch the glass. The 10 year old glass looks brand new. I then treated the glass with ICE spray on car wax. No more soap scum. Also cerama-bright for stove cook tops cleaning probably works though I did not use it. Don't waste your money on any of the so-called bathroom cleaner products they sell. They don't work.

o
Etching On Glass Shower Doors

We had installed a custom glass shower enclosure in 2005. We started using Tilex Fresh Shower on a daily basis. After a couple years we noticed that there were vertical streaks on the glass that would not come off so we quit using Tilex. Since then I have tried 12 to 15 different chemicals and methods and the streaks remain. I even bought more Fresh Shower thinking that it might loosen the streaks-didn't work. On one web site a similiar situation was described and it was concluded that the glass had been etched by the Tilex. I contacted the makers of Tilex and they basically didn't care.The glass installers have not been able to recommend a solution either I have concluded that the Tilex Fresh Shower etches glass and would recommend not using it. It will cost me about $3,000 to replace the glass!

o

Here's a tip if you're really desperate and don't mind hard work. I cleaned my shower tiles using some of the previously mentioned chemicals, but still had water spots and a haze that I could not get rid of. I tried using Dupont No. 7 rubbing compound (a red paste that looks like creamy jewelers rouge. It's meant to polish the oxidation off of car paint. Amazon and some car parts stores sell it). Voila!! did that stuff work great!!! It polished the tiles to look like new, and it worked just as good on my shower door glass. The bad part -- it's a lot of work, but easier than replacing tile. You have to apply it the same as you would a metal polish, with a cloth and lots of elbow grease. Rub it good, then wipe it off. And don't get it into porous surfaces like grout. You may not be able to get it out. It smells a bit while you use it, and will continue to smell if you don't remove all of it, but it's nowhere near as bad as most of those nauseating bathroom cleaners. As with anything, try it on a small test spot first.

o

Please read this!!

I cleaned my shower doors once a week with toothpaste actually. Works miracles and no fumes :) all you have to do is use the rougher side of a simple dishwashing sponge, and use the tooth paste like soap. Scrub it real good and then rinse off. You could probably even use the magic eraser with the toothpaste.

Ok well secondly, you should not leave detergents on the glass and then go back later to clean it. Why? Because detergents and suck will build up like a waxy film that will be even more difficult to clean off later. I know because as a scuba diver, we use soapy stuffs (like toothpaste and shampoo) to clean the masksand leave the soap on till next use because it creates a layer than helps the glass not fog.

o

Just read all the posts...thanks for all the suggestions..now going to try all of them..will let you know what happens and what works for me...I really need to be able to see through my shower door. SMILE :)

o

PLEASE HELP ME! WE HAVE JUST FINISHED REMODELING/FLIPPING OUR HOUSE. GOT NEW SHOWER DOORS, BEAUTIFUL GLASS ONES. TRIED MR. CLEAN SHOWER SPRAY ON THE DOORS. RUINED THEM!! I AM SO UPSET. IT HAD FEBREEZE IN IT. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS WHAT DID IT BUT UP UNTIL THAT TIME MY DOORS WERE BEAUTIFUL. I HAVE CONTACTED THEM AND THEY GAVE ME AFTER MANY PHONE CALLS AND COMPLAINTS, A $100.00. THEY ALSO SENT ME SOME MAGIC ERASER SPONGES FOR THE BATHROOM AND THAT DID NOT HELP. I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL THINGS AND THEY STILL HAVE A OILY SHEEN TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE DOORS. I NEED SOME IDEAS ON WHAT TO DO TO THEM NEXT. I HAVE TO LIVE WITH THESE DOORS, I DO NOT WANT TO START REMODELING MY BATHROOM AGAIN.

o

try "the works" its a hydrocloric acid for really nasty toilet bowls it disolves hard water build up on almost anything... on shower doors and sinks do not i repeat DO NOT leave on for more than a minute it will stain the metal parts and use gloves this stuff is strong pour some on a scrubbie and scrub your shower doors and rinse off almost immediately its awesome

o

Cannot believe that there is no 'concrete" solution to removing dull, cloudy or soap scum stains on glass shower doors. So many suggestions on this format are contradictory. Does anyone in the glass business have a definite solution to cleaning and maintaining the glass doors?

o
RE: Succesful removal of water spots/cloudiness On Glass Shower D

Hello everyone,
I discovered this forum while trying to remove hard water stains from shower doors in a rental home. Our tenant had not been using the squeegees provided, and the formerly pristine glass doors looked really cloudy/spotty. The shower doors were the nice, high-end kind, so I was getting really freaked out about the possibility that they would have to be replaced and that the price would be exorbitant.

I tried several of the suggestions that I found on this forum and on others: a lemon cut in half and lots of scrubbing, vinegar and lots of scrubbing, CLR (let it sit for the recommended time, then lots of scrubbing). Nothing! The lemon made the place smell nice, but the vinegar and CLR were just lame and unpleasant!

I liked two of the ideas posted above, and thought I would try them next:
1) using polishing compound (car polish)
2) using glass cooktop cleaner.
It seems like you need a little abrasive action, since the dissolving agents like vinegar and lemon juice and CLR don't work. So I went off to the local Ace store to buy those, and maybe some barkeeper's friend and Bonami, and see what worked.

A guy at Ace listened to my tale of woe, and he suggested a product called "Diamond Magic Water Spot and Stain Remover". He said he had "heard good things about it". It was in the car section next to the automotive polishing compound. It was expensive (I think about $13, but this is in Hawaii where things tend to cost a buck or two more than on the mainland). So I bought it, Wright's glass cooktop cleaner, and the Bonami.

Bottom line, the diamond magic is awesome! You definitely have to scrub scrub scrub, but it takes the spots off. You can feel the surface getting smoother and smoother as you scrub. I used circular motions, with a little, gentle pressure. Then I squeegeed it off, then I rinsed. The door looks sparkling and new. I don't see any scratching, even though the diamond magic has a grittiness to it.

I think the cooktop cleaner works too, it just needs even more scrubbing. So if you can't find Diamond Magic, give a high-quality cooktop cleaner a try.

Admittedly, I never tried the Bonami (which cost a mere $2, so maybe I should have tried that first!).

o
RE: Succesful removal of water spots/cloudiness On Glass Shower D

Hi Again,
Forgot to mention, I did try the Magic Eraser and Bounce dryer sheets as well. Those did not work for me.

o

I come to find that. Comet works great on cleaning the shower glass doors an windows. U just have to rinse real good an one of those green scrub pads.

o

I now know the next remodel will be a bathtub and a shower curtain. I am sure a buyer will appreciate my beautiful tiles and other high style but most of all that I did not put them through this. This is ridiculous and has been a problem for 40 years of glass enclosed tubs and showers. Why do we do this to ourselves?

o

Hi,
Just finished cleaning our shower doors. Had a new tub-surround put in and wanted to keep my "rippled" glass shower doors, but they were coated in "soap scum". I tried lots of the above suggestions. What finally did the trick for us was 409 and NOW all purpose cleaner. I sprayed it on the doors and let it sit for a few minutes. I used the scrubbie side of a sponge and then rinsed it well with warm water. I used a microfiber cloth to buff the glass after drying with paper towels. The doors look like brand new. Now I am going to take the suggestions above, and use some glass wax. Hopefully this will make maintaining the "like new" look a little easier. Thanks for all the suggestions

o

I've tried Goo Gone and Dryer sheets both wet and dry and can see a difference but not a fix. This was a quick while showering effort to tidy the place up in time for a visit from my ladies mother. Can't wait to try other remedies. We got a rental with nasty doors and are starting over.
WD40 is alleged to have fish oil in it which helps coat the glass from water,etc. according to an urban legend email.
The abrasiveness of toothpaste may work as it is a good solvent for cleaning "foggy" headlights. Takes elbow grease but works cheap. Reminder, brush your teeth lightly as a result or it will brake down your enamel.

Thanks for the hints and opinions and I really appreciate it.
MTM

o

I've tried Goo Gone and Dryer sheets both wet and dry and can see a difference but not a fix. This was a quick while showering effort to tidy the place up in time for a visit from my ladies mother. Can't wait to try other remedies. We got a rental with nasty doors and are starting over.
WD40 is alleged to have fish oil in it which helps coat the glass from water,etc. according to an urban legend email.
The abrasiveness of toothpaste may work as it is a good solvent for cleaning "foggy" headlights. Takes elbow grease but works cheap. Reminder, brush your teeth lightly as a result or it will brake down your enamel.

Thanks for the hints and opinions and I really appreciate it.
MTM

o

try scour off it's a cleaning product by shaklee. its safe and eco friendly. it helps prevent soap scum and hard water build ups. it works great on shower doors. i also use it in my kitchen sink and inside my oven. you can order it on the shaklee's website. when using this product make sure to rinse well. this product is sand base.

o

Tried everything on this board and many others and by accident found that Walmart brand Mildew Cleaner with Bleach works. I accidentally got some on my glass shower door when spraying the bottom of the shower. I let it sit for an hour then came back to scrub with a nylon brush. When I cleaned the glass that had the overspray from the cleaner the soap scum came right off.

o

I used to work in a glass tempering facility where we made patio and shower doors. Since the glass was safety glass, it had to be independently tested every 90 days by UL labs. One of their tests was an environmental test which included simulating soap scum. Once the tests were complete, they would send the glass lites back to us. We just sprayed them with windex and wiped them with old newspapers NEWSPRINT and it always cleaned them. Don;t know if this works for soap scum in real environments but wiping glass clean with a newspaper will ALWAYS remove the streaks you get when you clean glass. It has something to do with natural resins in the newsprint.

Any type of acid will etch glass or mirror so you have to be careful with some of the harsher household cleaning chemicals. Cut glass is almost always shipped with newsprint between each lite of glass. Not only does it keep the glass from getting scratched, the ph of the newsprint keeps the glass from getting etched while in transit or manufacturing production.

o

Heat vinegar in microwave oven. Apply to shower door and walls with sponge, rubbing surfaces. Wipe dry with clean cloth. Works for me.

o

I just tired everything listed and had modest success with goo gone and a magic eraser. But I had much greater success with Chlorox' new product Green Cleaner. It is easy to use with the magic eraser and when you spray it on, you can see the grime flow down the shower door with the cleaner. Who'd guess that a "green" cleaner could be so effective.

o

I have a film on my shower glass doors , either water deposits or soap scum. I Tried the vinegar, tried all the cleaners on the market (Windex, etc, etc), tried the fabric sheets, tried Goo be Gone, tried CLR, tried LimeAway. . . NONE of them worked (actually it made it worse), one door is clear and the other (nearest the shower head) has a cloudy film. Here is what I found that worked the BEST....."Formby's Furniture Workshop's Lemon Oil Treatment" , yes thats right a wood furniture lemon oil did the trick!!! The foggy haze is gone.

o

When we got our tub refinished, I took advantage of the situation to remove those *4!!@& doors and get a nice shower curtain. Life is too short!

o

Tried almost everything I could get my hands on noted above including CLR and other bathroom cleaners, vinegar, bicarb and corn flour - all with no effect after the initial cleaning removing the "easy" soap scum. To touch the glass did not feel dirty and only had a slightly different texture to the clean area of the glass and after using a razor had concluded that it was etched damage...decided to pay my hardware store (bunnings) one last visit and found "spot-x" a hard water stain and spot remover for glass shower doors AUD$22.34....miracle! Within a few hard scrubs with the included sponge all the marks are now removed. It's a USA made product do hopefully if u need it you can get it!

o

and found "spot-x" a hard water stain and spot remover for glass shower doors

Whoo-hoo...I see it is available at Amazon (link below) and has Free Super Saving Shipping, if you order $25 of qualifying items. Of the 105 product reviews, 78 are given 5 stars (the best).

I'll be ordering it and trying it.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Spot-X Hard Water Stain & Spot Remover

o

I tried every suggestion on this page. As someone who has been involved in facility maintenance for over 20 years I occasionally look to the internet for ways to solve problems and I really appreciate the power of it.

For years my housekeeping teams would insist on a supply of oven cleaner to pre-treat and de-scum showers and tubs. On porcelain and ceramic it is extremely effective but as you can imagine, caustic and detrimental to certain finishes.

So, I mentioned that I tried every suggestion on this page? Hats off to the person that said simply "magic eraser and dish detergent!

I went through the process to join your forum just so I could share my excellent results and describe what I learned about the method. No more oven cleaner for my housekeepers!

Liberal amounts of Dawn dish detergent applied to the surface of a magic eraser, no water, and then apply in a spot and scrub in a single direction. This will work for a certain amount of distance and then you have to reapply the dish soap, liberally, and continue the process.

Amazing! In 20 minutes I was able to restore glass textured surface panels to pristine condition that previously had been worked on by others for much longer with very poor results.

Lastly, this method also worked very well on ceramic,vinyl and fiberglass shower pans, and chrome.

Thanks so much!

o

I haven't been here in a LONG time, but I had to chime in. I was "lurking" recently and came across this thread...and I tried out the recommendation for the dryer sheets to scrub that film off. My husband thought I was a lunatic to try it, but you bet it worked like a charm! Doesn't matter if they're new or used...that and a bit of spray bath cleaner and everything is spotless, shiny and new! Thank you SO much!
Traci

o

I read all the suggestions and the one that worked for me was the glass stove top protectant. I am sooooo happy! And the best thing is that I didn't have to apply any more pressure than you would using a glass cleaner.

Thanks ver1 for suggesting it. I actually joined the forum just to post this message because I had tried so many times in the past to remove the buildup and had not been successful.

I squirted some on a green scouring pad and as soon as I started applying it I knew that it was working because I could feel the roughness disappearing.

What I used was Whirlpool Cooktop Protectant (which I had received when I bought a stove).

I had tried the following which didn't work for me - cornstarch, dryer sheets, glass cleaner, vinegar.

I had really bad water marks which had accumulated over time. I also applied it to the chrome and it removed the water marks as well.

o

This is going to sound very odd but THE WORKS Toilet Bowl cleaner works WONDERS on EVERYTHING.. Soap Scum, Hard water, Rust, ETC....

o

Before I started dialysis I actually waxed my tub every year while spring cleaning I didnt do the floor of the fiberglass tub .Now that I cant get to it Im having alot of problems.I used just regular car wax.I cleaned it good first,waxed buffed it,It looked brand new.

o

Lots of mention of dryer sheets but I didn't see any mention that they are toxic. Use 'em if it is worth it too you, but so you know:

What's in dryer sheets according to natureswizard.com:

* Benzyl Acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
* Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
* Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and capable of causing central nervous system disorders
* A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
* Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list
* Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
* Chloroform: Neurotoxin, anesthetic and carcinogen
* Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
* Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled

o

Taken in sufficient quantities purified water will kill you, as will most anything else, for that matter.

Fear mongering is not the point of this forum, and I doubt anyone on here will try to eat or smoke enough rolls of dryer sheets to have any impact anyway.

Unless of course you have documented evidence of someone who experienced side effects (any) actually using them as they were intended to be used? (Allergies not withstanding - people can be allergic to anything, like cats, but that does not make felines fall under the category of 'poison').

o

Wow, I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser moistened with undiluted Dawn dish washing liquid. It took it all off. Thank you, thank you. I have tried so many methods, and this was easy and perfect.

o

My shower door enclosure is not standalone. It is between 2 walls. I was able to put up a rod and curtain liner inside the shower to protect the door against water damage. So far, so good. The rod and frosted clear liner are not that noticeable and blends in with the door and frame. Even though this defeats the purpose of a nice glass door, at least the rod and liner are inside the shower, not outside and I don't have to wash the glass door so often.

o

Most soap scum is from bar soap-got talc in it.Helped sister clean her rental house. Used plastic food scraper-flat one. Got 2 dust pans off.Then sos pad -lightly.. then cheap shampoo. Then used car wax to coat. Made sure not to get on floor. Like night and day. She told next renter what we did. She used shampoo-said so easy to keep clean.

o

And so is everything on this earth lately..it seems.Where do you draw the line.?

o
RE: Remove Soap Scum

I found the answer to removing soap scum!! I use a rinse agent like jet-dry, used for dishwashers.
The soap just foams up and it takes no elbow grease.
Just wipe it on and watch the foam. For build up you need to rinse the cloth or scrubber or sponge often. and reapply with the rinse agent.
Happy Cleaning

o

I did tried everything in the planet I could think of including many of the suggestions here. I finally discovered a product that a cleaning crew at a local apartment complex was using. This thing looks like no big deal and I just though I would be wasting my time, to my surprise it does work, and it works well. It's called Spot-X and is a powder that if it's used as directed it really does the job. I am enclosing a link here to their site. You can only use it on glass. Is non-toxic and non-corrosive. It does not contain phosphates, acids, bleach, solvents, detergents, ammonia or butyl. contains all Natural Organic Ingredients, Balanced Neutral pH Factor, Skin Friendly Formula, Can Be Used By Chemically Sensitive People

Here is a link that might be useful: Hard water stain and spot remover

o

LoL I read all the forums. I clean for a living at other peoples homes. Ive been cleaning for over 40 years opps well i guess you can guess my age lol Ive tried almost every cleaner possible to no avail. I live in Canada.My client has glass shower doors. I cannot repeat cannot get them clean. I guess the shower doors are embedded with calcium deposits impossible to remove. Thank Godness they are moving lol My other client said I should throw them away lol which is what her best friend said lol

o

Sometimes the glass is just etched and no amount of scrubbing will do a thing to it. You will end up with very clean but still etched glass.

OTOH I have heard that RainX will help so I bought some but have yet to put it on. I think I'm afraid I will hurt the glass. Our shower is only a year old since the remodel and still pristine. I squeegee like there is no tomorrow but have to admit I'm getting pretty tired of doing it every single time I shower and my husband won't do it, wah....

o

I have been driving myself crazy trying to clean my glass shower doors for the last 7 years. I have tried everything possible and nothing worked until I stumbled on some YouTube videos.These professionals used something called cerium oxide, it is a powdered polishing compound. I checked online and it is not cheap so I started thinking and went thru my husbands garage and found some polishing compound for cars. I tried a little section and it was amazing. Put the polishing compound on a soft sponge and apply in circular motions just as you would on your car.Do small sections at a time.Take a wet cloth and wipe off . after all the glass is done rinse doors thoroughly with water and dry. Follow up with your favorite glass cleaner.This method is a little time consuming but it works great. Finally after 7 years my shower doors look like new. This method also removes light surface scratches from you glass. I wish I had known about this a long time ago, I could have saved myself a lot of money and elbow grease.

This post was edited by Evathornton on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 17:23

o

Sorry but my last entry was incorrect. Do not use rubbing compound!!! It is polishing compound. Sorry for the confusion

o

Evathornton,

It is possible to edit the post you made at 11:32. Just look to the right of your post and click on Edit.

Sue

o

Just came across this thread this morning as I was searching for a way to remove the hard water/soap scum stains from my 5 month old shower doors. I was all set to buy the "specialty" glass cleaner from the company that installed the shower doors and decided to search here first. Boy am I glad I did! Thanks everyone, I tried the cooktop cleaner I already had, and it worked beautifully!

o

We bought a house with a granny unit that the previous tenants teenage son had been living in for 2 years. I don't think he ever cleaned anything at all. Ever. After trying all your basic cleaners plus CLR to get the soap scum/ hard water or whatever the massive white yellow film off the shower doors, I read this post. I actually had a Mr. Clean sponge, which I had previously thought useless and of course dish soap so I gave it a try. 15 minutes total and very little pressure and it was clean. I couldn't believe it, and with no nasty fumes. I used the sponge without water and reapplied the dish soap as needed, then rinsed. Soooo easy! I would say to try this first due to low cost, low effort, and low toxicity.

o

I've tried a million and one products, and tried all the suggestions posted here with varying degrees of UNsuccess. Today I saw a product on an end cap at my local Orchard Supply Hardware while shopping for other things. I bought it and figured it would be another dud, but I think I have a winner! It's called "Scrub Off" by Ettore. Water Spot Remover. $5 for the bottle, 16 oz. I can't believe how great my glass doors look! Easy to use, too good to be true!

o

Try something from the auto parts store for windshields, like Rain-x. It cleans it and then forms a barrier that water beads off.
The other thing I've had great luck with is toothpaste. I shined/polished all our silver with a non abrasive paste (old fashioned crest....it just can't be a gel.) Works like a charm, and it will work on lots of things in the bathroom. I would buy a cheap tube of Crest and buff it onto the door with a wash cloth like car wax. Let it dry, then buff it off. You might only need water for the final rinse. Cheap, nontoxic, and minty fresh!
:)

o

I rub cooking oil on the glass and then remove it with dawn dish detergent!.. Have used it for years and it is the only thing that works. Don't know if it will work on tile, since I have never used it for that but I assume it would.

o

I was lucky enough to buy a new house, and during the orientation, I was told to wipe off the shower door after each use, and to use Rain-x type product on it periodically.

So far, it's worked great -- although, not necessarily for my tile (which I don't wipe off after every use.)

o

I use Bar Keeper's Friend (liquid version) and it works GREAT! I had years of build up and it was clean in about 10 minutes. I put it on a nylon sponge/scrubber thing. Scrub a little then rinse several times with a wet towel then dry with a huck cloth.

o

We had our master bathroom totally remodeled last September by Granite Transformations. Almost immediately, the brand new shower door and glass started getting scummy, and the iridescent tiles in the shower became dull. But worst of all, the crushed glass white "grout" started turning the color of old toenails.

I called and emailed the local franchisee for cleaning advice, but they never even bothered to follow up with me.

I tried everything I could think of: Tilex, Soft Scrub, baking soda, vinegar, Magic Glass, Magic Eraser by itself, 3Ms scrubby pads, and more. Nothing helped.

After reading this thread, I thought I'd give the Magic Eraser and liquid Dawn a whirl on the glass, and while I was at it, I figured I'd try it on the walls and floor, since nothing else had worked. OMG! I had to post right away. I don't know about the glass yet, but the tiles are shiny and iridescent again, and most of the white "grout" is no longer that disgusting yellow color. I don't even care about the glass, I'm just so overjoyed to see the tiles looking nice again.

Beaucoups mucho grando thanks to those of you who suggested the Magic Eraser and Dawn liquid combination.

o

I absolutely swear by CAR POLISH. I use the "Kitten" brand - its a cut and polish in 1. Use a damp cloth and swirl it on, then go over it with a kitchen scouring pad. Then wait about 10 minutes and wipe it off. If the shower/bath is quite bad you may have to do it twice.
My shower is 2 walls glass and 2 walls dark blue tiles. I also use it on the tiles but it does get stuck in the grout and you will need to use a small nail brush to get it out. My shower comes up crystal clear. Try it just once and you will never use anything else. Make sure you use a CUT and POLISH. Polish on its own doesn't work. :)

o

Ok I have been meaning to try the DAWN and magic eraser (because I have both on hand and seems simplest). So help me out please. You put a lot of the DAWN on the eraser, and then go circular on the glass? Then wiping off- what kind of cloth? Scrub or rinse? Really want to try this, but afraid to mess it up. Thank you

o

I have had good luck removing soap scum on my shower doors with Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner. Just spray it on let it sit for a little while and rinse off. It works beautifully with no scrubbing.

o

I ve been meaning to update. I decided to try with a magic eraser and dawn. I put the dawn on the eraser and rubbed it on the glass- with some pressure but not scrubbing. I then poured water on it and wiped it off with a micro fiber cloth. Most of the soap scum really did come off quite nicely and quite easily. For some of the more stubborn parts, I went over it again and then even did some windex. I am so pleased!!!

o

Once you have all soap scum off of the glass/tiles, stop using "bar soap" to bathe with.

Use liquid instead of bar of soap.

Rinse glass/walls good after showers. Dry or squeegee walls/glass.

o

Yes, I had read about the bar soap so I banned bar soap when we re-did the bathroom... I may have mis-spoke- the problem was either still from liquid soap or just mineral deposits. We do have a water softener, but we definitely have minerals in the water. In any case, the glass looks really good now with minimal work so I am happy

o

I posted this in the hard water thread but it works here too. it saved us a lot of money!

I can finally add to this post! My shower doors were beyond repair... we were convinced we would have to get new ones before we sell in two years. We checked into the price of new doors and yikes! Thought we better look harder for an answer.
We tried vinegar, the heated vinegar & dawn combo (worked okay at first and then not at all); all manner of store bought products, including; CLR, LimeAway,etc. Finally I saw a reference to Spot-X Hard Water Stain And Spot Remover and looked at the reviews on Amazon. I ordered it and it worked a miracle!!! My doors and dark green tile look like new! it was a little tricky getting the paste the right consistency. It can't be too wet. But after a try or two,I did my whole shower enclosure and still have half the bottle left. We have easily saved ourselves $2,000 or more with not having to replace our shower doors. Not to mention the shower seems so much bigger now that the doors are crystal clear!

Here is a link that might be useful: Spot-X Hard Water Stain And Spot Remover

o

Has anyone tried using car polish to clean and then prevent the formation of soap scum from glass and tiles in the bathroom? I haven't tried it yet but just found a short blurb about it online. It makes sense as it beads on a car and water and grime slide away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here