Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cigarette smell in foam cushions/covers

Posted by Riverview111 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 2:23

We bought an old RV, and are fixing up the inside. The cushions just reek of old cigarette smoke. The cushion covers are removable. Is there any way to get the smell out of the foam rubber and covers? I could wash the covers with bleach, which would go a long way (worked on the curtains) but the foam rubber I'm not sure about. I suppose I could try pressure washing it with detergent, maybe with a little bleach added...Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cigarette smell in foam cushions/covers

if the foam is original (ie more than 10 years old) I'd consider replacing it alltogether...it does degrade with time (the older stuff more than modern foams) and washing it might well destroy them...

otherwise, sunlight and fresh air are the best deodorants, so I'd just leave them outside for a week, and see if that helped.

washing any fabric does help, and I've found that the orange-oil based cleaners, maybe boosted with a dash of TSP (a degreaser) do a fairly good job of cutting that film on panelling, and the like.

any carpetting is going to be a pest as well (blech!) but shampooing it will help a lot :)

o

Febreze spray may help reduce the odors in the cushions.

There are fabric stores that sell foam rubber in various thicknesses that can be cut to fit for replacements.

o

Replace the foam ... it's not worth the effort to try to get decades fo ciggy smoke out of it.

o

Thanks, everyone. Dh will give them a shot with OilEater, in the pressure washer, leave them out in the sun, and if that doesn't work we'll replace them.

Otherwise, the trailer smells great, now. I painted every square inch after wiping with 409. DH put in a new floor and got all the appliances working again. We're almost ready to roll.

o

We've had a lot of inquires into a product called Vamoose 1808T that we sell into the Hospitality market. The product is very effective at permanently eliminating all tobacco odors including and especially cigarette odor. The product works in all types of environments including vehicles, homes, apartments, RV's, and on all types of fabrics found in them. Due to the number of inquires we have set-up a storefront on eBay but feel free to contact us as well. Our e-mail is sales@hillcountrydistribution.com and our phone number is (512) 784-4024. Leave a message if you get our voicemail.

o

I use vinegar! It kills the smoke immediately! Just put white vinegar in a spray bottle. take the cushions out doors and spray them good. no your cushions won't smell like vinegar forever!! just about 1 hr or so!!
Darlene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here