Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a scratched stainless steel appliance ever be repaired?

Posted by terrificcleaner (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 23:58

Hey everybody!

I cant believe I didnt know about this forum until tonight.

I have a question, though! I have 2 new clients who I have just taken on and their stainless steel appliances are so badly scratched that I dont know what to use on them. I used the Zep stainless steel cleaner but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!
Terrific

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a scratched stainless steel appliance ever be repaired?

I have no idea, but if you find something that works, please post it here. I also have a scratch in my stainless that I don't know how to get rid of.

I did find some interesting links that I've posted here, but I've never personally tried them myself.

http://www.finishing.com/4000-4199/4148.shtml

http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-product/rs_wssbgh8c

http://ask.metafilter.com/33604/How-do-I-remove-scratches-from-stainless-steel

Good luck!

o

Scratches will not be removed via cleaning, they are etched into the metal and will stay until buffed out by a professional.

As far as cleaning, try using WD40. I used WD40 on our son's brushed stainless steel refrigerator and it cleaned beautifully. Be sure and polish with a dry cloth after cleaning. Our young grandchildren's little dirty hands had left a lot of fingerprints and food fused to the frig.

o

I just wonder how safe it is to use WD40 on a refrigerator (close to food) and also if children will be touching the surface, I wiould assume there would be some kind of chemical residue left behind. Did you look at the warnings on the bottle?

o

I have clients with scratched stainless appliances. No regular cleaning methods work. And Im not about to try something off the wall on somebody elses stuff. I tell them to have them professionally buffed out.

I havent tried Wd40 yet but Ive found that anything oily does a good job. So if youre concerned I would switch to olive oil or mineral oil or something else food safe.

o

I read an AMA journal press release not too long ago that stated "minute particles of mineral oil stick to the lungs when ingested". I no longer use it on anything connected with food preparation or where others hands will come in constant contact. And doctors are still telling parents to give it to their children as a laxative.

o

I have removed scratches from a stainless steel sink with automotive emery cloth.

The natural surface of the sink was "brushed". I got it at an odd lot sale for a couple of bucks so I could do not harm. Just went the the auto refinishing dept and got some really fine stuff and brushed it furiously for quite some time.

o

mrsd1957, try www.ewg.org for info on household products and chemicals and the effects on your health. Great website.

o

i posted in another forum but the answer now is yes.

www.scratch-b-gone.com. the product is called scratch-b-Gone...we used it on our stove and bbq top... it was amazing. and its non toxic for the kids too.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here