Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosetroi

What do you use to clean your tile in the showers?

rosetroi
15 years ago

What do you use to clean your tile in the showers and around the bathtubs? Are you using a specific cleanser and does it work well? Do you just scrub with a Nonstick sponge like I do or what do you use? Advice appreciated.

Comments (5)

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

I have a housekeeper who does this, but she asks me to use Arm & Hammer Clean Shower spray after every shower. It keeps the hard water from calcifying on the walls and makes her job easier.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I use Comet Bathroom Cleaner - it comes in a spray bottle with a green label. The label reads, "Dissolves Soap Scum & Hard Water Film." The active ingredient is Citric Acid 4%.

I started by using it just on the fiberglass floor of the shower, and it worked so well that I continued it up the walls. It works best if you spray it on and then come back 5-10 minutes later and wipe and rinse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comet Bathroom Cleaner

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Something from the automotive section that is a clean and wax. Name is Nu-[something], bright pint size squeeze bottle.

Also use it for front of kitchen stove and exhaust.

Don't get it on the bottom of the tub or shower, it makes it slick.

• piasano
    15 years ago

You guys are going to love this one! I developed asthma recently, and found I couldn't use anything that sprayed or smelled strong. So I tried Magic Eraser?

Works beautifully!

This is on subway tile, though. Test it first in a corner or somewhere first to be sure it isn't going to discolor anything for you.

Even works on the grout.

I keep the sponge in a lidless Tupperware container under the vanity.

Barbara

• information1324
    15 years ago

I have found great success in using AWESOME Cleaning Solution, you can buy this product at any dollar store, and depending on the condition of the tile on the wall, when you get this product spray the tile down, I normally get inside of the shower or tub when I clean it, instead of bending over or reaching in, It makes it easy to clean this way, spray the shower walls down and inside the tub and wipe, that's right spray and wipe, tip: use a towel when wiping your tub walls and inside of the tub it covers a wide range in area when cleaning, now if its really dirty then get an eraser pad to go along with the job as the posting said above, and that should get your tub back to its normal status. Please be advise when using strong cleaning product, always invest in a mask for your health protection, If you have mildew, the eraser pad, nor will awesome, do the trick, you will need to make vinegar and water solution, or just spray bleach to kill the mildew. Bleach do not clean as we think, its actually dangerous and harmful to our health, I only use it when I run into a bathroom that have mildew that the cleaning product can't handle. Most store brand product that you buy is not effective when it come down to getting the job done, you can do it yourself with theses two easy steps I have listed, and once you get to doing it, you can step back and look at the results you have done, you want need someone to come in and clean your house, that will charge you 100.00 to do the job. Try awesome and I guarantee you, you will get the job done.
    Good luck