Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoremodeling_gw

please recommend a safe automatic dishwasher product

newtoremodeling
15 years ago

Hi! This is my first time posting but I lurk and absorb a lot of info. I couldn't find anything about natural products for automatic dishwashers (to clean dishes). Those of you who clean green, can you please recommend something that is healthier, safer, greener? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• greenleafclean
    15 years ago

The best automatic dishwasher detergent I have found is Melaleuca's Diamond Brite. If you want to know more you can reach me at green_leaf_clean@yahoo.ca

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

Seventh generation makes a natural automatic dishwasher detergent, (you can buy it in target) and so does shaklee.
    Ree

• newtoremodeling
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I will look into these. Ree, your posts are very helpful. I am also going to be looking into Charlie's, Shaklee, etc. I bought the Shark Steam Mop and am VERY HAPPY with my purchase.

• ebear1271
    15 years ago

I've tried a couple of different kinds and have found that Seventh Generation works best for me. One thing I have noticed is that you need to pre-rinse dishes if you won't be washing right away. I think that because it doesn't have the same chemicals as regular detergent it doesn't "scrub" the dishes as well. However, when I go to my friends and they are running the dishwasher, I can smell bleach. Kind of scary how we get so used to that stuff that we don't even notice until it's been gone for a while.

• newtoremodeling
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's what started me thinking about my regular detergent - the smell of bleach. Bleach is such a strong and dangerous chemical and it is used on our dishes! I noticed that I avoided being in the kitchen when the dishwasher was running because of the strong odor. When I realized this, it didn't seem very healthy. BTW, I ordered Charlie's soap and H2 yesterday. I am scared to try Charlie's because I am always amazed at how well Tide removes stains. I am scared that Charlie's wouldn't work as well but I still want to switch to something more natural.

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

newtoremodeling
    awh, thanks so much! I just love this place (smile)
    I am glad you are happy with the mop, makes cleaning the floors so much easier with great results. I think you will be happy with Charlies too..I just love the stuff so I ordered the 1280 load bucket...lol! As far as shaklee's basic H2.. I feel it is also a great product.. you only need one bottle and it will last months. They sell spray bottles in sets of three. (pretty too) so you make one for windows, one for all purpose and one for heavy cleaning jobs, it's labeled 'degreaser'.. less than 2 teaspoons makes (3) 16oz cleaners.
    Ree

ebear
    did you get my email?

• newtoremodeling
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I actually bought the pack of H2 and the 3 bottles. Can't wait to get them. Thanks.

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

let me know how you like it
    Ree

• newtoremodeling
    Original Author
    15 years ago

H2 came in the mail very quickly. I mixed all the proportions for 3 bottles and have been using those. I find that it works well. What's tough to get used is that there is no odor or foaming ... so it sort of feels like I'm not cleaning for "real" ... but the dirt and grease are coming off and the cleaning action is really there ... i haven't had a chance to clean something very yucky but i can't wait to try

• xoxosmom
    15 years ago

I just picked up Palmolive Ecos +. I am no expert in green cleaning, but it looked comparable to the Seventh Generation one. Palmolice had a little more product for the same price.