Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjude_gw

Cleaning old glass bottles

justjude
19 years ago

This is hardly your usual household cleaning query, but I didn't know where else to post it. If anyone can recommend a better site, I'm willing.

Here's the thing. We live in a 100 year old house with a large back yard, which was once obviously used for dumping trash. There's a lovely garden there now, but whenever we dig deeply (as we have been doing to put in a new walkway), we unearth all manner of unusual stuff.

Recently we have dug up quite a few intact glass bottles. I'd like to get them as clean as possible and use them as little vases, but I'm having trouble getting them clean. The insides have become etched from lying in the dirt for 100 years, and the dirt that is in the etched part just won't let go.

Here's what I have tried (all involving scrubbing with a toothbrush): Hot water, hot water and liquid detergent, hot water and liquid detergent and bleach, hot water and liquid detergent and bleach with marbles in the bottle to shake around.

What else might work? I know I can't remove the etching, but I would like to get the dirt out of it.

Judy

Comments (26)

• trekaren
    19 years ago

I would try hot water and white vineger. And if that doesn't work, then use hot water and baking soda. I bet they are pretty.

• lindac
    19 years ago

False teeth cleaner......the kind you put in a glass, it fizzes and you put your teeth in....can't remember the name.
    With old bottles, part of the charm is the etching and the irridescent look....but I don't think mud adds to the charm....
    Linda C

• woodie
    19 years ago

I got an old bottle clean with automatic-dishwashing detergent and hot water once. Just shook it up a bit and it cleaned it very well.

Strange tip that our DS found once is "Tang" - the breakfast drink. He read that it cleaned the inside of a stained old dishwasher and we tried it and it really brightened up the inside of our old dishwasher! I'd give that a try, couldn't hurt!

• jaybird
    19 years ago

"You'll wonder where the mud stuff went,
    When you clean your jars with Polident!"
    Works great...just break one up and drop it in!! Even the cheapy denture cleaning tablets from the dollar store work well!

• lindac
    19 years ago

That's what I was trying to remember!! Polident!
    ( it's hell to get old!)
    Linda C

• Sylvia
    19 years ago

I put sand in them with soapy water and shake. Works pretty well. Vinegar and baking soda sometimes too.

That efferdent stuff is great on vintage linens.

• justjude
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The Polydent didn't work at all (maybe because ours was old--I found it under the sink, probably purchased for a similar but long-forgotten project).

Now I'm trying straight white vinegar. I'll keep you posted!

Judy

• Greenlady
    19 years ago

A glass worker once told me that the etching won't come off. I have a small really old, "sunburned" glass vase. It is a lovely very pale lavender, but is cloudy on the inside. The glass guy said that is from age, and it is there to stay.

BTW, denture tablets are great for cleaning drains too. It works better than the caustic stuff like Drano. Put 4 or 5 of them in a smelly drain at night, and it will be fine by morning.

• Tropical_Muse
    19 years ago

I also have had no luck in cleaning out that cloudy, iridescent layer from inside some antique milk bottles. At one time or another I have tried most of the tips you have suggested.
    I would love to know just exactly what is it that causes that iridescent layer to form in the first place. Anybody know?

• Greenlady
    19 years ago

It is a change in the chemistry of the glass, as I understand it. The glassworker who told me it was permanent said that glass gets a matte finish on it from age and the chemistry of whatever it contained. The only way it could be smoothed out would be to heat the glass in a kiln just enough to cause the surface to melt a little. In the case of my sunburned glass, it would also take the color out. Also, there is a danger that the shape of the object would change from the heat. I've decided to let mine be - at its age, it's entitled to some flaws. :-)

• Tropical_Muse
    19 years ago

Thanks Greenlady.

• shaun
    19 years ago

I'd try sticking one in the dishwasher and see how it comes out.

• lindac
    19 years ago

The cloudy, irridescent look, nor the purpling on old glass can't be removed. That's what shows that it's old glass!
    Remove the dirt and enjoy the lovely patina.
    Linda C

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

If you are into collecting antiques, those sunburned glass items are GREAT finds!!!!!

I have washed a million old bottles - all the tricks mentioned have a time and place where they worked - but the amethyst color is lovely and permanent!

Vicki

• maritimecape
    18 years ago

I have had great success cleaning old bottles using masonry sand, the very fine type used for mortar, combined with vinegar. Agitate the mixture until the patina only remains. Works well in cleaning hard-to-scrub vases too.

Colleen

• plymplan
    16 years ago

Tips from a bottle collector and digger: Be careful with sand since it can easily scratch glass - bottle collectors use bits of copper wire instead. (copper will not scratch glass) Soaking overnight in an ammonia solution is good for dirt and grime. Try also LimeAway or similar product in grocery store for certain types of whitish deposits although most iridescence or "stain" can only be removed with tumbling or polishing. Bottle brushes (often found at grocery or hardware stores) are invaluable for cleaning the insides of old bottles.

See also this antique bottle cleaning page.

• mommaleem
    15 years ago

Thanks a lot all of you. I will try everything until something works. I have a bottle that is 2 1/2 feet tall but only has a 1/2 inch mouth. Be pretty hard to find a bottle bruch for that! lol! Thanks again for the suggestions

• slider7777_frontier_com
    13 years ago

Hi. All the methods you have posted here work to some extent, depending on the type of dirt, soiling or hazing, and the bottle itself.
    Mineral hazing or mineral etching can never be removed unless you use drastic measures (ie) heating the glass to just below the melting point. This in itself causes many other problems, warping etc. I have over 1000 bottles from the 1600s to the 1950s. I do not clean them past just getting the dirt & grime off. Some embossed bottles that are clear I clean a bit more so they can be read.
    But other than that. Enjoy your bottle with it's patina.
    That is just one part of it that makes it old and desirable to most collectors

• peg_shadowdragonsystems_com
    12 years ago

You might try looking for a birdfeeder brush to reach into the longer bottle. Though I have one I haven't used it for the purpose you are talking about. I bet it would work though!

• SharperClean
    12 years ago

Many bottle diggers, antique professionals and serious collectors have there own special ways to clean old bottles. If you dig up an old bottle or find a special treasure at a flea market or garage sale the first thing to do when you get it home is soak it in room temperature water and dish washing liquid. The temperature of the water is extremely important since water that is much hotter or colder than the bottle itself can cause it to crack. Allow the bottle to soak for a few hours or overnight if possible.

• interloper5_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Just soak the bottle in ketchup for 1 week. YES YOU HAVE TO USE A LOT OF KETCHUP.

• guuhman
    10 years ago

I tried a few different methods and when none worked to my satisfaction I had a thought, I want to use these old milk bottles I found under my grandmothers house as milk bottles again and if I can't then I will just sell them off so after many attempts and failures I tried spraying oven cleaner into them and letting them sit(carefully not to get any on the lettering) and to my surprise they look like brand new bottles soooo happy!!

• MoonPie53
    9 years ago

Try filling it with Coke or Pepsi and letting it sit for a few hours. I had an old milk bottle from the 40's or 50's that had some kind of dirt inside that I couldn't get out, even with a bottle brush. I filled it with Pepsi and sat it on my desk. For three hours, it kept bubbling. After it stopped, I poured it out and washed it with dishwashing liquid and water. It was sparkling and spotless!

• Ellen Stokes
    5 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I am happy to have found it. I tried the dishwasher , didnt work. I tried rice, didn't work. I tried many of these, but not all. Trying ammonia now, and will def try others if that doesn't work. I bought these in an antique shop possibly 25 years ago just because I thought they were beautiful. I have no idea what they might have been used for. Anybody?

e

• rrah
    5 years ago

With the tops those look like wine decanters. Here is one on Houzz: https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-decanters-prbr1-br~t_14821~s_2103