Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of mildew stains on linens

Posted by Stephanie_R (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 21:38

Help! Our house is built on the site of a former drainage area and as such we have perennial mildew problems despite keeping windows open as much as possible to ensure ventilation. I just looked in our linen closet and discovered numerous items (including a beautiful and expensive Croscill comforter set) plagued by those awful tan-colored mildew stains.

Does anyone know how to remove them? Also, any ideas about how to prevent this from happening again? Thanks.

Stephanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of mildew stains on linens

I would assume that you need a dehumidifier on your heating and air conditioning system.

Good luck to you. On white linens, just use Clorox bleach when you wash them.

o

I second the need for a dehumidifier....close the windows and turn on the airconditioner.
And if comforter set is down filled, soak it in oxy clean...
But first of all dry your house out...open closets and turn the air on to chill!!
Linda c

o

In addition to the humidifier, if you haven't already, use Damp Rid in your house. The product comes in different types of containers for convenience. There's also a hanging version for closets. It appears you may need all the help you can get to get rid of the dampness. Hope you solve this problem fast.

o

I can give you a simple and green cleaning way of removing mildew stain from your linens. Simply mix vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice and apply this paste on the stained area. Leave it till the paste gets completely dried, then wash it off by rubbing the stained area with your hands. This will surely help.

o

I found the generic Damp Rid at the Dollar Store & it works great! I once lived in a house where the linen closet did the same thing & it was a constant battle. Just wish Damp Rid, ($1 generic equivalent) was around then!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here