Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brightening/Whitening Porcelain Bathtub

Posted by gayle0000 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 20:33

My bathtub is original to the house...60 yrs old.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to brighten and whiten it? There are some dingy spots from use and age.

The porcelain is not damaged or chipped...it's in overall excellent condition. And, it's clean. This is not a question on how to clean up soap scum or general bathtub crud. I don't have that. It's just dingy.

I haven't tried anything past soap and elbow grease. Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks much!
Gayle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brightening/Whitening Porcelain Bathtub

Make a paste with barkeeper's friend and lay it on the dingy spots....rinse.
Don't use straight clorox as it may damage the porcelain.And you can get it "re porcelainized"...those good old tubs are hard to find.

Linda C

o

Thanks LindaC!!! I know the stuff you're talking about. I'll go try some the next time I run to the store.

o

Hi, Gayle
If the above advise didn't help much with getting your porcelain bath tub sparkling clean. I have found great success in using the following, product call awesome, you can find this product at any family dollar store, or dollar general, or just dollar store, for only a dollar, this product works great, low price and very powerful,I use it on all my tough jobs when cleaning just spray your tub down and wipe, it's that easy, No hard elbow scrubbing, Now if that don't get all the ring spots, then you will need to get Mr. Clean easer pad, use both, now the awesome can get a little strong when spraying so you may want to get a mask for any harmful fumes, by using the two products I have listed above you want need any other cleaning product to clean your tub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here