Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

Chemical stain on white ice granite - desperate for help!

snowang
9 years ago

Granite was just put in a few weeks ago and the guy applied some kind of sealer in front of me. A week ago we accidentally left the green Swiffer sweeper on the counter and a day later discovered the two stains. I've tried Clorox, magic eraser, thick layer of baking soda paste, and even paste made with baking soda and flour. Nothing has worked to even lighten it up a little. I am guessing because this is no food stain, it's much harder to get out. Any other good and safe method to try out? Oh, and please recommend a good sealer so I won't ruin it more! Many many thanks!

Comments (3)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

It is unclear what product on the green Swiffer sweeper caused the stain. You might want to e-mail or call Proctor and Gamble and see if they can suggest anything.

There is not a sealer on the market that will save your granite from staining. People don't realize how much "babying" granite takes.

I think it is going to come down to continuing to try various products. With granite, you need to leave the product on the stain for hours and give the poultice time to pull out the stain.

I found this list on the internet of the various products you can use on granite to try to remove a stain.

Categories of Stain:

Stains: Organic (coffee, soda, mustard, gravy, tea, etc.)
    Chemical: Hydrogen Peroxide (30%-40% by volume)

Stains: Inorganic (ink, dyes, dirt, etc.)
    Chemical: Rubbing Alcohol for ink; Hydrogen Peroxide (30%-40% by volume) for all others

Stains: Oil (any type of cooking oil, some mineral oils, butter, margarine, etc.)
    Chemical: Pure Acetone (avoid using nail polish remover as different brands have different ingredients)

Stains: Biological (mold, mildew, etc.)
    Chemical: Bleach or MB-9

Stains: Metal (rust, copper, etc.)
    Chemical: Iron-out (a white powder available at hardware stores)

The Removal Process:

Due to the nature of this removal process, you may want to test a small, inconspicuous area of the stone to ensure there are no adverse effects.

Begin by mixing the poultice (ex: talc powder and hydrogen peroxide). You will want to create a thick paste. It should have the consistency of putty.
    Apply the mix to the stained area, keeping it only on the stain. The layer of paste should be about one fourth of an inch thick and overlap the stain about a half an inch.
    Cover the area with plastic wrap and tape the edges down. Allow it to set for 24 hours.
    Remove the tape and plastic wrap only, leaving the poultice in place.
    Allow this to remain on the stain until it is completely dry. This can take anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days.
    When the paste is completely dry, use a plastic scraper to scrape away the paste.
    Wipe remaining paste away with a clean cloth.
    Clean the area as normal and dry with another clean cloth.
    If the stain remains, you may need to repeat steps 2-6 several times, especially for oily stains, each time removing more of the stain.

Here is a link that might be useful: From How to clean stuff dot net

• loves2read
    9 years ago

We are considering a white granite for a master bath remodel--
    saw a slab of white ice to day at Sarasota granite showroom

how has your stain worked out?
    we are usually pretty careful--empty nesters--but bathrooms can be dangerous places for stains...

• grandmamaloy
    9 years ago

I would opt for trying hydrogen peroxide. Soak a cotton ball or soft white cloth with it, and then lay it over the stain. If that doesn't work you might want to try a steam cleaner. I'm talking about one of those steam cleaners designed for doing tile or floors. It won't harm the granite, but may have that extra oomph that you need to remove the stain. Good luck with that! I know how heart-broken you must be after spending so much on the granite.