Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need HELP! I'm afraid I've ruined my hardwood floor.

Posted by ncamy (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 19:34

Our house is on the market to sale so I added a little life in the breakfast nook with a large live plant. It is in a lined wicker basket. Well I guess you've probably figured out by now that I'm not normally a plant person, but I've been doing quite well keeping this thing watered and healthy looking. Then today I noticed a little bit of water on the hardwood floor on the back side of the plant. When my husband moved it, to our horror we saw this awful ring under where the basket had been. It's not grayish white like most water rings. It's orange. My husband thinks it might be from the basket fading. What should I do to remove it? The only thing I have tried is I've lightly scrubbed it with a green scouring pad in hopes that the stain was just on the surface. We've had real positive results using Orange Glo topical refinisher but I was unsure of whether to put that on it in case it "sealed" the stain in. Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need HELP! I'm afraid I've ruined my hardwood floor.

Check with the "experts" in the flooring forum.

o

how about trying some mini-wax stain in the color of your flooring? then seal it.. I have used Bona hardwood floor restorer and my wood floors look like they were just poly'd..

keep us posted!
Ree

o

Hi,
Did you resolve your problem?
If not...............
Treat this like a watermark on furniture.
A few options:
Goo Be Gone. If it is on the surface, this will loosen the stain. Start with a small area so you can see what is going on with the finish.
You can also try a Magic Eraser. Be careful with this. Use it just on the faded area and again, watch the finish.
Finally, check your local Walmart for Formby's furniture cleaner. If it will come off, this will take it off without harming the finish.
If there was a finish on your hardwoods, it isn't likely that the stain went through to the wood.
Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here