Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Self Cleaning Oven

Posted by gammyt (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 18:59

I have a basic builder grade GE self cleaning oven and had a major spill over of a Chicken version of Shepard Pie on Sunday dinner.

The instructions for cleaning say take the chrome racks out and I have done that for 8 years. It takes hours to scrub those racks. Friends with other oven brands say they leave theirs in.

Anyone with a GE ever just leave the racks in during the self cleaning?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Self Cleaning Oven

If you leave them in they will discolor. Personally, that's pretty low on my list of concerns but you may have a different opinion.

o

I have a Caloric gas stove/oven with self -cleaning feature. I use it (the cleaning function) about twice a year-not enough,I know! Anyhow,while I clean the oven, I take the racks out, spray them with Easy Off (the cold formula spray) and wrap in plastic dry cleaning bags and put them outside (several hours or overnight. Hose them off and they are as clean as the oven!

o

Thanks Mike, discolor is bad, my husband would throw a fit if chrome doesn't sparkle. LOL and SIGH!

Jannie, Thanks, I will give that a try except I will bring them in and wash them off in the sink. I don't have a place to hose off oven cleaner where it wont kill the grass or get our dog sick.

o

"Thanks Mike, discolor is bad, my husband would throw a fit if chrome doesn't sparkle. LOL and SIGH!"

Well, then DH can clean them himself, eh? ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here